Does anyone NOT have a television?

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Re: Does anyone NOT have a television?

We haven't had a telly for about 13 years. We've got the hardware, but we only use it for watching movies, initially on VHS or DVD, and more recently on Netflix.

I like music, but I was brought up to be considerate of other people. I don't like it loud anyway, but if I'm where people would find it annoying, I use headphones.

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

We have nominated the farm house as a sreen free zone; much to the shock and horror of our urbanite, screen addicted grandchildren. We dont have hard wired phone lines there so no internet link other than via wireless which works really well on the South East corner of the verandah, in the evening and if the west wind is not too strong.

I go with Ina, a good book beats TV anyday; I am one of those people who re-reads and actually wears out books and have to replace them.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

ina

Weedo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:07 pm
I go with Ina, a good book beats TV anyday; I am one of those people who re-reads and actually wears out books and have to replace them.
Yep - so do I. And at the library they've stopped pointing out that "you've read this book already" - so what? If it's a good book, it's worth re-reading. I read the entire disc world series at least once every year... And I still find new bits that I hadn't noticed before.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Weedo

People commonly re-watch the same movies, TV serials, go to the same gallery, walk in the same places etc. etc. so why not re-visit a good book? I have occasionally had a clean out and donated books to the local library or op shop but have found myself often buying some of the same titles again later.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't re-read anything regularly, but definitely have a few go to's when nothing else fits the bill - anything Jane Austen, Terry Pratchett, Marge Piercy etc. Eclectic tastes for every mood. :lol:

I find TV channels don't address our current watching style - it started out with a box set of The Sopranos, which we binge watched on a lazy Boxing Day many years ago. Watching a couple of episodes or so each evening, of whatever is our current fancy, seems to suit us much better than one episode a week and the regular schedule gaps for golf, football etc which seem to happen all too often.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

happyhippy

I'm actually fed up and bored of TV these days.There are way too many competition type shows.Monotanous and predictable.

ina

Green Aura wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:24 pm I don't re-read anything regularly, but definitely have a few go to's when nothing else fits the bill - anything Jane Austen, Terry Pratchett, Marge Piercy etc. Eclectic tastes for every mood. :lol:
Marge Piercy? I shall have to find out about her... But Jane Austen - yes, definitely another one.
Ina

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

She's a feminist novelist and poet, ina. I have all her novels and some of her poetry. Her most well-known novel (excellent, but not my favourite) is "Woman on the edge of time".
Maggie

Weedo

"free to air" Tv here is not worth watching; even the sporting events have been bought up by the pay TV mob. I don't subscribe to any pay TV systems on principle.

I have managed to scrounge early editions of some Dickens, Conan Doyle etc. Different reading to the modern versions

PurpleMcGowan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Facebook Name: Ali McGowan

When my husband left 4.5 yrs ago he took the TV with him and I never replaced it. Don't miss it either. We used to have it on all the time, even as background noise, so at 1st it was strange, but the kids (5 & 11) aren't bothered, for one its all hes ever know here anyway. Kids have a couple of portable DVD's but they prefer to read or play outside.
AND I'm £80 a month better of without the license and Sky fees :)
Its Better To Be Mad Than Boring

Flo

Can't imagine what a telly would add to my life. But then most of my 72 odd years have been without one.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah thanks Flo, I thought it was only me that had odd years.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We have a TV set but we use it only to link a computer to it to watch Netflix and Amazon movies and the like. Mind you, here in Upstate NY, the only access I have to the internet is through the same company that offers cable TV so my internet fee is about 100 pounds a month (about $70) and they would charge me another $10 or $15 a month for cable TV (about 200 channels of the same nonsense).

ina

That's not exactly cheap. I don't like watching films at all these days. They all seem to have very loud "back ground" music that makes it impossible for me to enjoy what I am watching. Cinemas are out altogether - even with industrial strength ear defenders they are too loud.
Ina

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know exactly what you mean, ina. The background music hurts but if you turn it down to a manageable level you can't hear the dialogue. I don't know who thought it was a good idea. We have often stopped watching a film because we couldn't find a workable sound level.
Maggie