Eating your placenta

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
magenta flame
Tom Good
Tom Good

Eating your placenta

I've put this here because I suppose it's about parenting. In one of my ECO magazines in the letters/requests section a woman has written in asking for recipes on how to cook her placenta after the birth of her child.

Does anyone else see this as a bit cannibalistic? Except the person you're eating is sitting down at the table also enjoying a bite of herself?

Oh forgot to mention she did include the bit (to serve up for friends.)

I realise there are cultures around the world who have spiritualistic practices in terms of this situation but I'm talking about a woman in the western world who wouldn't have this cultural background, otherwise she wouldn't be asking for recipies she'd already know them.

Jack
A selfsufficientish Regular

Gidday

Weird Eh!
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

Clara

Assuming that no one is being forced to eat the placenta then I don´t see the problem, it´s been given consentingly. Just because she doesn´t know how to cook it doesn´t mean she doesn´t have the right to eat it, for whatever reason. I´ve lots of friends who´ve done their own thing with their placentas, these days notions of spirituality aren´t necessarily based on the tradition/culture within which you were raised or live. They don´t have to be based on anything which has gone before.

Placenta is very rich in iron, just what you need after having a baby.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

magenta flame
Tom Good
Tom Good

So are lambs and cows livers......and beetroot increases your red cell blood count ( if you've lost a lot of blood )

Plus you have the option to give your placenta over to the hospital so they can use it for the good of leukemia victims .........I just don't get eating it ......If she want's to eat it I understand the nutrient thing but to share it out, to those who haven't just had a baby and don't need the nutrients?

Of couse she has the right, but doesn't it constitute cannibalism?

Bonniegirl

I watched a programme some years ago, a couple took there placenta home with them and put in in the freezer. They made pate out o it and served it to their guests at the childs christening/blessing!

I can't think of anything more revolting than eating you placenta, why would anyone!

Animals eat theirs of course, but ugh...humans...no! Whatever are they trying to prove! :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale:
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

two thoughts.....

one is that eating the placenta supposedly replaces much of the goodness given to the baby during pregnancy and is rumoured to prevent a range of post partum disorders ranging from iron deficiency to hormone induced psychosis (a rare but devastating condition ) Very often in nature, either the mother or the newborn eat the placenta.

My other thought was that placentas are not always used for leukemia, they can be used for all sorts of things including cosmetics apparently.

either way.....I don't think I could eat one and I'd think very carefully about remaining friends with someone who felt the need to 'share' theirs ....bleughhhh! :pale:

Mare Owner
Tom Good
Tom Good

Wow, I had never heard of this before. It just never occured to me that people would do this.

We raise livestock so I am familar with the animals doing this (though they don't cook!) and that it is instinct driven and medically good for the animals.

I can see harvesting your own hair or blood for reasons, but to eat tissues from your own body, that is one more step.

Millymollymandy

Hugh F-W cooked placenta and ate it in one of his programmes (a TV 'personality' for those who don't know the guy), but a lot of things he cooks make me want to barf anyway!

I don't see anything wrong with a mother eating her placenta if that's what she wants, just don't expect anyone else to want to eat it! :pale:

circlecross

I wanted to see both placentas - they are amazing, and I grew it but I didn't feel the need or desire to eat it. I can kind of understand people burying them, as they are special things which have done an amazing job for nine months, but eat it no thanks. That said, some people pick their nose, some like to smell their own farts each to their own.

I expect it would lend itself to pate or perhaps made into a salami? It is very blood rich, and looks very like a liver.
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

This topic started a debate at work here!!

I couldn't do it...i really really couldn't.

I haven't given birth, so i don't quite get the 'wonder' of having a child bursting forth from your nether regions, but the lady next to me has just given me a blow by blow explanation of what happens with the afterbirth - and its didn't sound pretty...

No. just no. i couldn't do it!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Well it's already been mentioned that many animals eat theirs. I suspect our primative ancestors ate theirs so we really shouldn't be judgemental on those who want to do so. It is very rich in nutrients and so good for a nursing mother. It is also the most environmentally friendly thing to do. If you don't eat it then it has to go in the bin or be incinerated.

Would I do it? Yuk, you must be joking :pukeright:

Zoe

red

I don't have a problem with the idea itself - though I owuld find serving it to others definitely weird.. but a woman eating her own placenta.. sure why not.. if thats right for her.

not tempted myself - but each to their own.

but strange thing is.. I never got to see mine after my son was born - other stuff was going on like the fact he made no sound and people were panicking and calling for a paed etc.... it did not seem important at the time... but afterwards i felt that something was missing that I had not seen it. - strange I know.. but I made sure I told my best friend to take a peek.....

and i definitely dislike the idea that it might have been sold to a cosmetic company. I mean - I'm all for the NHS recooping money were they can etc.. but the idea of it going into some anti aging product.. ewww

I think you will find its the cord that is useful to leukemia victims.. and even then I'm not sure if it can be someone outside of the family.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Thurston Garden

As a male man, this is not my kind of topic hehe, but is your placenta not mildly hallucinogenic? (Or have I been eating too many shrooms?)

Might be a good reason to try a bit if it is....
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Meredith
Tom Good
Tom Good

Noooooooo, I can't imagine doing this but if a woman feels the urge to, what's the harm? It is a very natural thing to do if we look at the rest of the animal kingdom but to cook it, why??? that doesn't sound all that natural to me.

At the end of the day if anyone wants to partake in such a feast then I don't have a problem with their right to do so. I think I would declare myself to be vegetarian at such a party and give it a miss.
Magick happens

SueSteve
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Each to their own!
But I could never eat it!
Just seems a bit strange, I know its natural for animals, but no way!