Turf Walls

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Turf Walls

I'm going to try building turf walls as wind breaks around my more vunerable veg but never done this before, any advice or how to websites out there? :dontknow:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Turf Walls

Start with a broad base and reduce the width the higher you go. You will need a lot of turf! I used turf from a border I created to build a turf sofa in the garden. However we don't sit on it because its full of mouse holes! :shock:
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

You can drive sticks through the turfs vertically to stabilize. Like TGE said I'd start broad and make the wall (mound?) narrower as it gets higher.

http://www.skagafjordur.is/upload/files/IX-Turf.pdf may be a useful link.

Good luck, Jandra

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

hello, i wondered the same thing a few years ago! We've since built a lot with turf here. My brother-in-law built an entire horse shelter out of it. I describe the method on my blog. sitdownbymyweefire.blogspot.com look under the label "vernacular building" and yes, there is a book... Called scottish turf construction. You can get it from historic scotlands website. You can build it without anything supporting it. If you cut and build in the growing season it will knit itself together and become very stable in a few months.