Building a Swedish hermit's hut!

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Starfaun
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Building a Swedish hermit's hut!

demi wrote:Reminds me of twilight. Was that a wolf in the forground?
Tehe! Nah, that's just one of the dogs - and a total mutt he is, too!

Starfaun

It's me again. I've said bye bye to Barcelona and am back in the land of miserable weather. Working outdoors in the dark and cold is not too fun, I tell you, but that's what happens when you procrastinate. :wink:

Oh well, there really isn't that much left to do. We need to get the boarding up, obviously. Then there's the indoor painting to be done. Oh, and the chimney! And you know all those little things that "just" need to be fixed? Yeah, well, we have more than we need of those!

Here's a photo from earlier today. Do note the very Pettson-ish quick fix of the drainpipe!
IMG_20121023_172724.jpg
IMG_20121023_172724.jpg (168.05 KiB) Viewed 22001 times

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Wow, that's really coming on.

I don't know if you can get our television channel called Channel 4 where you are. There is a presenter called Kevin McCloud and he's just finished a series about how he built a shed in the woods which is totally off-grid and he made all the furniture and fittings himself from reclaimed materials. It was very interesting. Here's a link to the website if you're interested: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kevi ... -made-home

Zoe

boboff

Brrrrrilllliant.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Starfaun

Thomzo wrote:Wow, that's really coming on.

I don't know if you can get our television channel called Channel 4 where you are. There is a presenter called Kevin McCloud and he's just finished a series about how he built a shed in the woods which is totally off-grid and he made all the furniture and fittings himself from reclaimed materials. It was very interesting. Here's a link to the website if you're interested: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kevi ... -made-home
I know! *Happy squeal.* And thanks for the link, I don't think we get Channel 4 over here, just some stuff from the BBC empire. :wink:
boboff wrote:Brrrrrilllliant.
Thaaaank youuuu!

Today we had the first snowfall of the season... With steaming breaths and numbing fingers we sawed, I hope, the last things we needed to fix in order to put the boarding up. Then Hannes, the electro wizard, drilled holes for the outlets and light switch and concluded that we did not, THANK GOD, accidentally put a nail through the electricity lines... Also, it looks like we might be able to pick the stove up next week or so. Wee!

Starfaun

Boarding is finally going up - wheey! Also, a bird ate on my house. That's so not okay!

Starfaun

Today we finished the boarding on one of the walls. It's quite fast work, but oh my, it feels like I tore off my arm! :silent: Also, Hannes squeezed one of my fingers between two boards... But I'm not complaining - when we're done with this, there's no more work left to be done out of doors until spring. Hooray!
This is the wall we finished today. (Well, this was before it was finished, obviously.)
This is the wall we finished today. (Well, this was before it was finished, obviously.)
IMG_20121113_150325_s.jpg (101.12 KiB) Viewed 21800 times
My dad thought it would be really funny to put a baby elk leg in my house. (Hint: he's a militant meat eater, I'm a very non-militant vegan - we like making fun of each other.)
My dad thought it would be really funny to put a baby elk leg in my house. (Hint: he's a militant meat eater, I'm a very non-militant vegan - we like making fun of each other.)
IMG_20121111_131547_s.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 21800 times
Some little sucker ate little bits of my wall!
Some little sucker ate little bits of my wall!
IMG_20121111_131826_s.jpg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 21800 times

boboff

I thought "ate" was a euphamism for a while!

I love this thread, it makes me smile.

I think it's the hard work and enthusiasm you have for creating your retreat, your Dad sound brilliant too!

All the Best
Rob
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Starfaun

boboff wrote:I love this thread, it makes me smile.
You know, that makes me really happy! I've wanted to do something like this for a few years now, but it always felt too overwhelming or even impossible. I think it's often like that, until you see someone actually doing it. Fortunately, I have friends who have inspired and influenced me insanely much by just being who they are - I especially love this laid-back and easy-going attitude of "why not?!" and "let's do it!" and "if it's meant to be, you will find a way, so basically you're out of excuses". (Thank you, Hannes and Hanne!) So I guess I hope to spark something within someone by just paying it forward - karma and stuff, you know. (Take as much as you need, give as much as you can.)

But anyway! Today we finished the third wall, so now there's just the front left. I hope we can fix it tomorrow!
I heart my house.
I heart my house.
IMG_20121115_153321_s.jpg (156.59 KiB) Viewed 20233 times
The back, with some scrap metal and wood we've had to move around I don't know how many times.
The back, with some scrap metal and wood we've had to move around I don't know how many times.
IMG_20121124_153858_s.jpg (164.32 KiB) Viewed 20233 times
The wall we finished today. ALL nailing done by me - whoop, whoop!
The wall we finished today. ALL nailing done by me - whoop, whoop!
IMG_20121124_153838_s.jpg (127.22 KiB) Viewed 20233 times
And then the moon followed me home.
And then the moon followed me home.
IMG_20121124_160445_s.jpg (118.21 KiB) Viewed 20233 times

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

it's beautiful. are you going to heat it? what's it like inside?

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

That's looking very, very good..
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Starfaun

GeorgeSalt wrote:That's looking very, very good..
safronsue wrote:it's beautiful. are you going to heat it? what's it like inside?
Thanks and thanks! I'm going to live in it, so yes, it will be heated with an old Husqvarna cast iron stove. There are photos of the "interior-so-far" on page 3, I think. I'll paint the walls with linseed oil paint and then put some furniture in there and stuff. :wink: I tend to gravitate towards the improvised, mismatched and take-what-you-have aesthetic, if you will. I love Bauwagen and Wagenplatz culture - check out Click Clack Gorilla for a bit of Wagenplatz lifestyle pr0n. (She's my hero!) Hmm, and I really like Jenine Alexander's first build. This Tiny House and Free Cabin Pr0n usually post really good stuff, too!

Starfaun

I've been painting! I'm using linseed oil paint, which is both exciting and exhausting. Paint, leave to dry for 2-3 days, paint again, leave to dry for 2-3 days, paint again, leave to dry for 2-3 days. So, yes, this will take a while. But I don't really mind since I love painting more than I'd like to admit, heh. The stirring, the blending, the climbing, the painting... All the while drinking tea and listening to Florence and her machine, pausing every once in a while to marvel at, well, that we're doing this.

Here are the photos of the ceiling, painted once with a warm and soft vanilla white.
IMG_20121208_195440.jpg
IMG_20121208_195440.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 20233 times
IMG_20121208_195754.jpg
IMG_20121208_195754.jpg (121.5 KiB) Viewed 20233 times

southeast-isher

Starfaun wrote:All the while drinking tea and listening to Florence and her machine
sounds like fun :-)

Starfaun

southeast-isher wrote:
Starfaun wrote:All the while drinking tea and listening to Florence and her machine
sounds like fun :-)
It is! Even so, it looks like I took an unintentional, er, few weeks off from all of it. I've been hiding under blankets in front of the fire, reading. Whoops.

But ... look what I have! Painted walls, a cast iron stove and a puppy!
With the top piece on.
With the top piece on.
IMG_20130122_144758_l.jpg (153.41 KiB) Viewed 20233 times
With the top piece off. Hoho, to think of all the tea waiting to be brewed on this stove, all the books waiting to be read to the crackling of a fire, all the conversations to be had in the flickering of its flames...!
With the top piece off. Hoho, to think of all the tea waiting to be brewed on this stove, all the books waiting to be read to the crackling of a fire, all the conversations to be had in the flickering of its flames...!
IMG_20130122_144826_l.jpg (156.53 KiB) Viewed 20233 times
This is what happens when you don't spay your dog. ;)
This is what happens when you don't spay your dog. ;)
DSC_2401.JPG (236.66 KiB) Viewed 21126 times