Lean-to Greenhouse Roof

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Lean-to Greenhouse Roof

Morning Everyone! Well, afternoon but...

I'm getting a bit closer to finalising the plans for the lean-to greenhouse that's going at the back of the allotment - East facing, on the base of an old Anderson shelter and a little beyond that. Happily, the foundation and concrete path still remain from this.

The plan is to use all the recycled materials I can get my hands on. So far;
  • Bricks - hundreds salvaged from around and about
  • Glass - about 100 panes (maybe 40cm x 30cm) salvaged from allotment (original greenhouse long gone)
  • End door - old hardwood glass door salvaged from skip
  • Greenhouse-temp water - old guttering found and galvanised barrel salvaged with plinth
I'm still working on beams for the ceiling (hoping for another skip find) and lintels for the front-facing wall, which I may end up buying concrete ones for.

The roof is the area I could do with advice on. Building control (other half) is requesting a glass roof, but to be honest I think that's beyond my skills and would be quite costly, which I'm trying to avoid. I'm edging towards using clear PVC corrugated sheeting, which is pretty cheap if I can't find any in a skip somewhere. Polycarbonate is also an option, but it's quite expensive.

Has anybody used clear PVC corrugate successfully for a greenhouse roof? The front will be done in salvaged glass panes (which is going to be a pain, but at least they'll be used) in three banks between the lintels.

I haven't quite worked out ventilation yet. I'm hoping to find some old windows that I can install in either end.
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lean-to Greenhouse Roof

Yes, I have used both glass and corrugated plastic.
I also have photos of them somewhere, I will look them out later and post them here.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Found some (but not all) photos.
This is the latest one, I had a spare wall that was crying out for a lean to greenhouse, so I did.
leanto.jpg
leanto.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 13179 times
leanto 2.jpg
leanto 2.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 13179 times
I also built a lean to greenhouse with a glass roof, and then rebuilt it and posted the details on here, but the relevant photo seems to have been corrupted when we had a some forum problems a few years ago.
But the link is here .. http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 38&t=18367
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

This is fantastically helpful and help me realise some problems with my own design - thanks for sharing :)

The small panes of glass I have will be challenging, but at least they're free I guess!
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)