Slug pellet ban

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Slug pellet ban

This has come up on another forum I use and some are looking at it as if it's the end of the world. I get the argument about them being quite voracious but on the whole I think the ban is the right move , maybe glyphosate will be next. With there being a gardener or two on here I thought I see what people feel about the move,
Link,
https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/metaldehyd ... -from-2020

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Slug pellet ban

I don't see it's a bad thing. The cynic in me would ask what Gove's angle is - he's not noted for doing things for the common good. Maybe he has shares in the other stuff. :lol:

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a ban on glyphosate. Too many greased palms.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree there's not much hope with the glyphosate. To be honest I've got several bottles of slug pellets that have sat in the shed for probably decades unused and I avoid using weedkillers too as much as possible . Certainly never on my own property and only very rarely when a customer is very insistent.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've never used the metaldehyde slugpellets. I don't suppose they'll be banning the ones that have always been allowed for organic farming?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

ina wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 am I don't suppose they'll be banning the ones that have always been allowed for organic farming?
Which ones are they Ina?
The only ones I can get locally are the bog standard metaldehyde. I do use them sparingly when I plant out vulnerable seedlings in the tunnels. There is no way birds could get at the dead slugs as both tunnels have mesh doors and it's very frustrating to say the least, to find all the brassica seedlings mown off at ground level overnight.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina

They are based on ferric phosphate - there's several on the market. Used by organic veg growers and gardeners.
Ina

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

One of the arguments I have seen is that the iron based pellets not only cost more but are less effective. I can't personally comment never having done a side by side comparison . Being less effective seems to be levelled at anything that doesn't contain metaldehyde by some.

Flo

Slug control is a heated subject. There are nearly as many ways advertised to control slugs as there are varieties of slugs. Cheap beer appeals to a lot of people on the basis of price, easy to obtain, no queries as to how much you buy and not likely to be banned. :roll:

ina

There is no cheap beer in Scotland any more - minimum pricing per alcohol unit. And it wasn't that cheap a method, anyway. I find the organic pellets good enough, and at least you know you aren't killing anything you don't want to. More expensive, of course. Was given the wool pellets once as well,but didn't find them very effective, especially not around seedlings.
Ina

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

ina wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 am They are based on ferric phosphate
Thanks Ina, I looked that up and it seems there are several garden centres here that stock it, so maybe one of my local ones does. I'll make a point of switching as soon as I find some.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

The organic pellets are widely available in the UK now, even Wilkinson’s sell them. The RHS did a trial a couple of years back and said that they were as effective as the metabiwhatsit ones. Use them sparingly and replace after rain. A colleague of mine was asked to review the claims about not harming animals up the food chain and concluded that the science was sound so I’m happy to use them.

cookknitwine
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52.237347
longitude: 0.580605
Facebook Name: CharkieCowan

ina wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:28 pm There is no cheap beer in Scotland any more - minimum pricing per alcohol unit. And it wasn't that cheap a method, anyway. I find the organic pellets good enough, and at least you know you aren't killing anything you don't want to. More expensive, of course. Was given the wool pellets once as well,but didn't find them very effective, especially not around seedlings.
I chatted up the landlord at my local pub and he saves the cleanings from the pumps - it may not be human worthy, but the slugs still get happily pickled in it and drown contentedly!

ina

Excellent idea! Unfortunately, I rarely get to the pub these days...
Ina

doofaloofa

Head torch and scissors FTW!
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I use an old floor scraper , just like a wide sharp hoe really , saves bending down .