Turn off day !st February 2007

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turn off day !st February 2007

Just been forwarded this email, I'm going to give it a go.

The 1st of February 2007: Participate in the biggest mobilization of Citizens Against Global Warming!

The Alliance for the Planet [a group of environmental associations] is calling on all citizens to create 5 minutes of electrical rest for the planet. http://www.lalliance.fr

People all over the world should turn off their lights and electrical appliances on the 1st of February 2007, between 1.55 pm and 2.00 pm in New York, 18.55 for London, and 19.55 for Paris, Bruxelles, and Italy. 1.55pm in Ottawa, 10.55 am on the Pacific Coast of North America, 1.55 and 2.00 am in Vietnam.

This is not just about saving 5 minutes worth of electricity;
this is about getting the attention of the media, politicians, and ourselves.

Five minutes of electrical down-time for the planet: this does not take long, costs nothing, and will show all political leaders that global warming is an issue that needs to come first and foremost in political debate.

Why February 1? This is the day when the new UN report on global climate change will come out in Paris.

This event affects us all, involves us all, and provides an occasion to show how important an issue global warming is to us. If we all participate, this action can have real media and political weight.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

manxminx
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi andy i just wonderd why there had been nothing about this in the news or has there and i've just missed it :oops:
" OH for goodness sake turn that light off and save some electric for when i'm older" - kelvin age 9

kerry

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

manxminx wrote:Hi andy i just wonderd why there had been nothing about this in the news or has there and i've just missed it :oops:
DOes not seem to be well advertised at all, I can't find anything else either. It is today at 18.55 (6.55pm).
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

manxminx
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

ok andy thanks i had looked myself online but couldn't find anything both the boys are going to tell there teachers about it at school today so i had tried to find out a bit more for them great idea and we will be joining in :cheers:
" OH for goodness sake turn that light off and save some electric for when i'm older" - kelvin age 9

kerry

purple.hippy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i did it! we both gorpped out the window and nobody else on the street did :(
there was a tread on UKhippy.com that is how i found out. it was a french thing so that might be why it was not on the uk news

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

There was a piece about it on BBC World Service this evening, at about 6.00 pm UK time, which seemed to suggest that people in all parts of the world might be doing this.

Unfortunately, I dozed off for half an hour, with me lights and radio on, and missed it entirely. I had intended to join in. Honestly.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

purple.hippy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i friend from another forum did it and it went a bit "wrong"

That went dreadfully wrong!
I turned off the power and it wouldn't turn back on again. I had to get someone from SWEB out to fix it. It took him over an hour to get here and an hour to fix it. So I have been sat in the dark all this time!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sad, but funny!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

Woops!

manxminx
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We did it and all went well the kids couldn't wait till 6.55 so we turned off the tripper swicth at 6.50 and sat talking by candle light about what we would do in the evenings if we didn't have lights and telly we didn't turn back on the power till 7.20 and the boys didn't even mind that they missed 20 mins of the simpsons :shock: :shock: :shock: lol

The boys did go to school and tell there teachers about it the oldest ones knew about it or if they didn't were very interested but the youngest told his teacther and he just said " oh right " :cry:

kerry