Phone apps

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Phone apps

I personally wouldn't know an app if it jumped out in front of me but would appreciate any help going.
My other half has changed her phone from an I phone 5 to an I phone 6s. We have cctv and she was able to access that through an app on her old phone . That app was called "vieweasy v2" . However , that app doesn't work on the new phone , when she tried it it just came up " to be updated by the developer"
As such she can't now view our cctv and is looking for advice on a secure app that will work with the new phone.
Suggestions?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Phone apps

Dunno. I'm afraid it might just need a troll through the app store. One of the good things about iphones is that stuff is very easy to uninstall if found to be useless. One of the bad things is that there's a lot of that out there!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think that's what she will have to do. I've asked on other forums too and no one has actually come up with an answer and I'm completely clueless with this sort of thing so it may be a case of just picking one at random so to speak.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

I do hate life when something that you have always used on computer/laptop/phone doesn't work when the system or hardware is updated. It's often a reason to sell you something new of course as an extra add on to whatever you have just updated.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Agreed , it's the whole built in obsolescence thing.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I know this was more than a year ago, but just in case anybody looks back to this topic later, I think there was a bit shift from 32bit to 64bit from iPhone 5 onwards that has wreaked havoc with older apps. It's a real shame as it's put a load of old stuff out of commission.
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Flo

Yep it's amazing how many things don't work any more or become something you need to pay for when you upgrade. The mobile phone has to be the worst offender.

ina

I'm on my third mobile phone by now. No smart phone - still can't see any reason why I should get one of those. The first I bought because I was living in shared accommodation without landline. The second because I'd lost the first, and again I was without landline. These days I have the mobile just as an emergency phone in case something happens while I'm out and about. What else would I want it for? (But then, I rarely use the landline, either. I'm just not very talkative.)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

My wife got me my first phone probably ten years ago as she said it would be useful for emergencies and so on. One day i came to use it and it wouldn't make or receive calls . My wife took it to the shop and they told her that the number had been discontinued because it hadn't been used for 18 months. I was perhaps a bit less talkative then. My next phone was found in a garage clearout , it worked so i started using that until i dropped it in a pond. That was replaced by another secondhand phone probably five years ago. The last two got more use than the first as i'm now self employed and have people calling me up for work although friends have commented that i don't always carry it about which seems the whole point of having a mobile , clues in the title and all that.
As i say my current phone is second hand and was my wife's at one time. She gave it to me when she had her sister's old phone which is where our secondhand phones come from. My sister in law is one of those people who feel they must upgrade regulary. She will often say that a new phone is necessary because the old one is slowing down. I can't help but think ( i stand to be corrected here) that i my view if she didn't download so many frankly pointless apps such as the ones that put animal ears on people and the like then the phone wouldn't be so clogged up.

ina

I make sure I use mine once every few months these days! Usually I just phone my own landline...
Ina

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I confess that mine's used fairly heavily as my family only really communicate via WhatsApp, and being 300-odd miles from them I don't want to opt out of all communication.

I usually get third-hand cast offs (sister, Mum then me) and they seem to go for a few years before breaking down.

We don't have a landline anymore - £5 a month for all the calls I can make seemed much cheaper.

I am drastically paranoid about data collection etc so don't really use it for anything but calls and messages. My sister takes the mickey quite a lot :(
AKA Simon.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I feel like I need a mobile phone because of the long distances I travel, often alone, to get to - well anywhere really. A "just in case" phone which usually cost a tenner from T$sco. We laughingly referred to them as my "drug dealer" phone (anyone seen The Wire?).
I only moved on to smart smart phones through hand me downs from my daughter. The gal likes her high tech gadgets and seems to find good deals on them. I've currently got her old iphone 7 which I have to say is fab. It's our alarm clock, I read books on it, shop with it, surf t'internet when away, and I've just got a set of bluetooth headphones (Christmas present) so I can listen to music on it too. I have a minimal £6/month contract, which I top up, if needed while we away anywhere. It doesn't cost me anything to use, in the house, because I use the home wifi.
Apparently I'm not such a technophobe as I always thought. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Green Aura wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:27 pm I feel like I need a mobile phone because of the long distances I travel, often alone, to get to - well anywhere really. A "just in case" phone which usually cost a tenner from T$sco. We laughingly referred to them as my "drug dealer" phone (anyone seen The Wire?).
Aren't they called "burner phones"? If I've read all that crime literature correctly... :mrgreen:

Anyway - family has no interest in staying in contact with me; friends know to email me (they can even do that from their smartphones), and I think I'd get a bit headachey if I had to read all that small print all the time, so I stick to my trusty laptop.
Ina

Flo

Ah tis the text message that is important for me.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:27 pm I feel like I need a mobile phone because of the long distances I travel, often alone, to get to - well anywhere really. A "just in case" phone which usually cost a tenner from T$sco. We laughingly referred to them as my "drug dealer" phone (anyone seen The Wire?).
I only moved on to smart smart phones through hand me downs from my daughter. The gal likes her high tech gadgets and seems to find good deals on them. I've currently got her old iphone 7 which I have to say is fab. It's our alarm clock, I read books on it, shop with it, surf t'internet when away, and I've just got a set of bluetooth headphones (Christmas present) so I can listen to music on it too. I have a minimal £6/month contract, which I top up, if needed while we away anywhere. It doesn't cost me anything to use, in the house, because I use the home wifi.
Apparently I'm not such a technophobe as I always thought. :lol:
Bluetooth headphones and podcasts have kept me entertained for many hours whilst doing monotonous tasks :D
AKA Simon.