Smart phones

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Smart phones

I've been looking for an android phone that has keys and/or a flip top. Alcatel has a nice one but isn't android so I can't get Whatsapp, which is not essential but I would like it if I can have it. There are so many sources of mobiles that when I think I've looked everywhere, there's another result or link I can use, but to no avail for what I'm looking for. Why is it so difficult to find the type of phone I'm looking for, especially since the flip lid offers protection?

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Smart phones

Sorry fruitfly, can't help there as I have an iPhone, although I have just smashed the glass so I can see why you want one with some protection!

Although I can't think of a phone with a snap cover (not since 2002 anyway!) you can get some covers with a clicky flap cover thing, or a book-shape with the phone tucked in one side. Would that mean you could have more flexibility with the phone itself?

Good luck, I hate anything mobile phone related, hence the reason I have stuck with my trusty iPhone for ten years now.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Taf
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Surprised that you mention Alcatel not being Android, as I was under the impression that majority of non Apple phones were android. I don't know the model you are referencing, but just googled Alcatel and seems they are Android, so maybe worth checking again.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

don't have one, don't need one, cant see why anyone else would either - total technophobe
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Weedo wrote:don't have one, don't need one, cant see why anyone else would either - total technophobe
Don't you use a telephone at all ?

I've had one for years and when I didn't need landline for the dial-up Internet modem it was done away with.
I use a phone very little and it only costs me when I do use it, as opposed the landline which charges a quite substantial monthly line rental whether I use it or not.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

bonniethomas06

Much as I hate technology interfering with life, I wouldn't want to be without my smartphone. The alarm clock function on my phone wakes me up in the morning, I use the radio app to listen to the radio in the bathroom while I am getting ready; the torch function to check the chooks have gone to bed at night; the satnav function when I am going somewhere new; the notes function to jot down shopping lists as I think of items and the camera well...as a camera all the time. Or to photocopy something like a booking reference so I don't have to carry it with me. It's invaluable!

Can't remember the last time I actually made a call on it though...and we have an absolutely no phones at the table or in bed rule in our house. Can't bear being in a room where everyone is ignoring each other and sitting on their phones.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've got one of my daughter's castoffs - a Samsung Galaxy S3. I can just about answer when it rings (being left-handed makes it awkward) and I can use the camera. I asked her take just about every app off it as there were was so much stuff I couldn't find the few bits I did want. It sits in my handbag, either switched off or flat and only gets charged when we're off down the road - the trip to Inverness seems to charge it nicely. There's no point in keeping it on/charged as we can't get a signal but the gal uses hers for t'internet, via the wifi. I can't see the point. Why squint to use a tiny screen when my laptop's rarely more than a few feet away?

Fruitfly, I just asked my gal and she thinks it unlikely you'll find a clamshell smartphone (apparently one half would be redundant because you don't need a separate keyboard). Although you can get those tiny tablets that have keyboard and case accessories. She tells me they're called Phablets :roll:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It's an Alcatel OneTouch 20.12G that I want to replace my old Alcatel OneTouch 20.12G with. The online chat support of Carphone Warehouse said it was a smart phone.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a phone that makes and receives phone calls and text messages, that's it, I think they call them dumb phones now, the Three people sent me a smart phone and I had to abandon it as I could not answer it with a swipe, it just didn't want to work, other than that we don't have a landline, they are a fortune here, my last phone bill in 2009 was 160 euro and I didn't even make any calls.

yellowhammer
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

And I thought it was just me left with a dumb phone! I'm annoyed I've had to replace my 20 year-old Nokia as I couldn't get a new battery for it, my new phone (Samsung "builders phone") is water- and drop resistant which is handy though.

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm on a Nokia, sadly not an old one, but just as dumb, and still better than a smart phone

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funnily enough my phone is used mainly for it's alarm. I have a crap memory and it gets crapper by the year, and the main alarm is to remind me to feed and shut up the chicken in the evenings. I regret to say I have lost at least 3 lots of hens to foxes over the years due to me forgetting to shut them up.
Now I've got to the stage where I'm so forgetful that I set alarms for many other events.

At least I don't have to set the alarm for it's intended purpose, to get me up in the mornings. :iconbiggrin:

On this subject, the other main reason I have a phone is if I were to fall over outside, I know I have a phone in my pocket should I need it. (Although Murphy would make sure I fell on the phone and broke it)
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I do have a 'phone - an old Nokia flip phone - but I only use it as a 'phone.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't know what the difficulty could be in producing a flipping smart phone for the market here - they appear to manage it for the Far East.