Les grenouilles

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
DebbieP
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Les grenouilles

Why do newts making a popping sound when they breach the water?? I've never noticed that before!
Fed up of seeing spiders everywhere :( Always the worst this time of year. Spider deterrent desperately needed!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

It's when they cope up for air. It's quiter distinctive and a much softer more muted sound than popping bubble wrap. On a still quite evening you can hear it from several feet away easily. Have a look at this under newt behaviour :icon_smile:

http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/britishwi ... mnewt.html
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

MarcherLady
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

A question for the amphibian fans. I've just been outside trying to rescue a veggie bed from weeds. As I dug I woke up a very unhappy toad (I think, although it could have been a frog). In the Autumn the same thing happened in a different bed, that time it was two! I am very happy to have them on my land, and don't want to hurt them or drive them away, but I am less happy to be unable to dig any of my beds over. Do any of you know, am I endangering them by waking them up (it's 8c outside, but it's going to be a frosty night) Will they give up and hybernate somewhere else if I keep disturbing them, or are they just attracted to the recently dug soil? Should I make another part of the garden more attractive than my beds? How would you do that? We have a log pile already, and a large shed they can crawl under. Thanks!