Birds

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Birds

When we moved down to this peninsula just over 20 years ago, we moved into a "holiday home" that had been empty for a few years, and apart from Hooded Crows there were no birds here at all.
That all changed when I started digging the ground, keeping chicken and building sheds. The robin was the first to adopt us followed over one or two years by lots of others, quite a few that I'd never seen before, but the one I missed was the House Sparrow.
Back in Kent we were surrounded by noisy sparrows all the time and it seemed odd not to hear them. About 2 years ago we had a pair arrive, but they didn't stay. Last year the same happened again, but this year we have a pair that have now built a nest, so probably intend to stay here.
The thing is, I'm getting fed up with their incessant chattering, all the time drowning out all the other birdsong.

Typical human nature .... :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Birds

We get quite a few birds here, they've been singing away merrily for a few weeks now. The trouble I have is I have no idea what most of them are, apart from the most obvious one.

My favourite is our little family of blackbirds - they're very bold, sitting on the fence post only feet from where we are. I've only ever seen robins that brave before.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Wouldn't be without the sparrows round here! They are part of the gang at the allotments along with jackdaws, blackbirds, robins and if we are lucky a thrush.

doofaloofa

No house Sparrows yet (16 years built) but a big selection of other species

The Robins were quick to attch themselves to the pigs when they root around
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apart from these sparrows, the all year round resident birds here are Robins, Blackbirds, Thrush, Magpies, loads of Pied Wagtails, Chaffinch, Linnets, Goldfinch, Goldcrest, Wrens, Hedge Sparrows, Blue Tits, Great Tits and Meadow Pipits.
When the rest of Europe and the British Isles are having a hard winter, we get loads of different species, some of which I have to look up in our bird books.

Ones that we don't get and I miss, are all Owls, all Woodpeckers (not many trees) and Nightingales.
Tony

doofaloofa

Did you see the Hoopoe that visited WC a few years back Tony?

ina

None of you mention starlings - they are the most frequent birds here. Plus sparrows, blackbirds, robins, and the occasional chaffinch, blue tit, great tit and coal tit.

Oh, and gulls, of course...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

We have lots of chickadees, both black-capped and boreal. Song sparrows and fox sparrows. Juncos and american robins. A pair of mourning doves showed up last week. There are barred owls in the woods out back.

There ought to be blue jays, but a bluejay-phobic neighbour exterminated them all last year. :(

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

doofaloofa wrote:Did you see the Hoopoe that visited WC a few years back Tony?
No :(
Tony

Flo

Who has the starlings? Ina have only seen one on the allotment since Feb 2007! We have the kestrel and some breed of hawk that comes along in the pigeon racing season.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We get them a couple of times a year, not in the huge groups you see on the TV but sufficient to have mini murmurations. I love it.

My mother used to be terrified of them - convinced they'd move into the loft space and cause all sorts of horrors, although she couldn't identify what they were. She never quite grasped that we have a solid concrete roof and no loft space.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have starlings nearby, and one tried to nest in our soffit a couple of weeks ago. There is a hole in the underside of the soffit where the overflow pipe used to be and the starling could get it's head through but not it's shoulders. It tried for some time before giving up.

Also nearby, we have all the members of the crow family bar one.We have Hooded Crows, Ravens, Rooks, Magpies, Jackdaws, Choughs and Jays. The one we don't have is the Carrion Crow.
Tony

ina

As soon as I put bird feed out, I get dozens of starlings... I'd rather not have so many, as any other bird has to wait until they've finished feeding. Actually, blackbirds and the robin tend to come very early in the morning, to get a bit of breakfast - before the starlings move in! Not so bad now, I'm easing off the feeding, they are all busy nesting and mating... :)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

doofaloofa

Odsox wrote: Also nearby, we have all the members of the crow family bar one.We have Hooded Crows, Ravens, Rooks, Magpies, Jackdaws, Choughs and Jays. The one we don't have is the Carrion Crow.
AFAIK, the hoodie and the carrion crow are different variants of the same species, but seldom share the same range

I've never seen a Jay in the 20 years here

I assumed they were not native to this area

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

KeithBC wrote:There ought to be blue jays, but a bluejay-phobic neighbour exterminated them all last year. :(
Woo-hoo! We saw a blue jay today at the feeder!