Bonsai Trees-Beginners

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Bonsai Trees-Beginners

I have a Bonsai Tree Kit, but have no idea where to start. I have Red Maple, Silver Birch and Mountain Pine seeds. Would anyone know which of these would be the best for a complete beginner at bonsai? Instructions seem to suggest the Silver Birch (I had planned to avoid the beautiful Red Maple, as I would be too upset if I managed to kill it!).
Also, what do I do about pots? I could make one out of plastic, but I'd prefer for them to have something nicer looking. I don't want to start them off, then not be able to upgrade their pots. Seems that is something I won't have to worry about for some time yet-phew.
On reading the instructions, I'm going to need a thermometer to ensure they won't get too cold in my flat (night storage heating here), and possibly a mini greenhouse so they don't freeze to death outdoors too (perhaps another use for my 5 litre plastic bottles). On the plus side, my fridge will have a better purpose for a few weeks whilst they stratify(?) inside it (artificial winter that non tropical trees require to break dormancy prior to germination).
I will update with my progress on here, should anyone else come searching on the do's and don'ts of Beginners Bonsai. :flower:
Bonsai in Ireland...will it work?
I am Anti: Plastic, Palm Oil, Consumerism, Petrol, Diesel, Capitalism.
I am Pro: Nature, Make Do And Mend, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Fairtrade, Organic.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Bonsai Trees-Beginners

Of course it will work. They're trees, not houseplants, even if tiny.

As for pots, I remember a Ladybird book (when my daughter was a tot) showing how to start off a bonsai in the skin of half a grapefruit. Prick holes in it with a fine knitting needle or skewer, fill with compost and plant your seed. When roots start poking through the holes simply trim them off. Then when you can find a suitable pot you can just plant it complete with starter pot, which will rot.

Simples, as they say. Having said that I've never tried it - I'd rather let trees grow properly, I think.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Bonsai Trees-Beginners

Sounds good, except for one little detail-I don't like grapefruit, and don't know anyone who does! Typical.
I am Anti: Plastic, Palm Oil, Consumerism, Petrol, Diesel, Capitalism.
I am Pro: Nature, Make Do And Mend, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Fairtrade, Organic.