To all those junk collectors

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: To all those junk collectors

It's the same here with regards to household electricals Ina. It wouldn't be so bad but the small stuff I could put in a bag, get on the bus that goes past the household recycling turn in and take it but the rule is no walk ins here too (think it's the big lorries that take away the full skips that are the danger to pedestrians). Oh and you need a letter or bill with you and proof of identity as apparently our "tip" is attracting folks from over the county boundary (the pleasures of living next to the dividing line :mrgreen: you'd think we were back to the days of the renowned border reivers up here :mrgreen: )

You'd be surprised at what comes off allotments mind. Armchairs from sheds have been fairly regular. One tenant died and the family removed an antique working ATCO mower from the shed. Never been used on the plot mind but apparently it was renovated and used elsewhere. The odd rotovator gets left and is often found that just needs a bit of TLC to get it working again.

ina

Yeah, that's another thing... I used to use the tip in Montrose, but can't anymore, because it's Angus and I live in Aberdeenshire. Nevermind that the nearest in Aberdeenshire is simply not at all accessible by bus - but hell, I can't walk in there anyway. So what do they want: do they want us to recycle, or do they want us to put everything in the normal household waste? Never any reply if you complain, of course. As a non-car owner you are simply not worth any attention.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

The council took the opportunity to cut our "recycling" services during lockdown - it's unlikely they'll increase again. The shipping container for electricals is still there, as is a small thing for hazardous waste - oils, paint etc.The bottle banks (not run by the council, I think) are available full time but the skip is brought by lorry, twice a week for two hours. The driver remains throughout then takes it away again. The next village, which is 20 miles away and quite a bit bigger than ours, gets a similar service on different days. Even when a full service was offered you need a car, as it's about three miles away and no public transport.

I put recycling in quotes as everything else all gets chucked in this skip - in black bags since covid - so there's no separation of plastics, wood, garden waste etc.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Yep - they are good at talking, but not good at doing... Same with the supposedly environment friendly grass areas around here. In other places, they've turned them into wildflower meadows. Here, everything is sprayed dead, and what isn't killed by herbicides is killed by overenthusiastic mowing. Well, I suppose with the rain coming up in the next few days, it may revive a bit...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Trouble is that what goes down to our allotments seems to look like this and it never seems to be what you want in an emergency.