Cold Frame from Junk

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cold Frame from Junk

Got a pallet crate from work, a load of pallet wood and a scrap piece of carbonate that I found blowing around somewhere. The hinges are nicked from a gate, but I would have preferred to use some reclaimed ones.

As an absolute minimum, you could make this with a claw hammer, a saw and some nails. I've been lazy and used screws, but I've also been reclaiming nails from pallets, and I think you could get enough together.

The box - I've reduced the size of it to fit the piece of polycarbonate; no better reason. It would be neater to keep it the right size, but such is life! Cut two long pieces of pallet wood; you'll need them as a sort of bench.

Cut two corner pieces to help provide rigidity. I've had to cut down the front piece as I couldn't get the corner bits off without removing the rivets. You could definitely do a better job.

Screw the pallet length above to give it rigidity before sorting the front piece out.

Two lengths now, to put the diagonal section in. You'll be able to see the form coming together.

I've trimmed them in situ; it seems easier.

These are old radiator brackets, but will be handy as feet to peg the thing down.

Right, the box is now assembled with rigidity.

We three lengths of pallet wood!

Put the three together, and make some shorter ones (length can be hit and miss) to make up the back panel.

The diagonal can now be added.

I find it easier to trim them when they're in situ.

So, you can do this two ways, either with a protractor, or with a pencil and a straight edge, which is the way I did it. You could do a better job for sure with a mitresaw...

A piece behind, screwed from the inside, will help you to place it all.

Taaa-daaa! Just some painting to sort now :)

I'll add more notes as I go, if I can. I'm going to paint the outside to slow the rot, but otherwise not looking at a huge amount to develop.
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Cold Frame from Junk

Excellent!

Which reminds me I've got a pile of junk wood in the garden that needs to be turned into a raised bed... When I have the time and energy.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It's finding the time and energy that's always the challenge! :(
AKA Simon.

Flo

Viper254 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 am It's finding the time and energy that's always the challenge! :(
And on a day when the weather is suitable for outside work. Not to bank on it this weekend if you are at work Monday to Friday. It's another hooligan is forecast for Saturday and Sunday.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

It would be nice to be able to use scrap pine, plenty of it about. On my patch, if I put raw pine (or most timbers with sapwood) anywhere (even in the house) the termites would turn it into sawdust in a month.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

That looks great, Viper, and I'm pleased to see my polycarbonate turned up somewhere. :lol:

(The major gales we had up here in 2015 wrecked my polytunnel and we never did recover one sheet of polycarbonate :roll:).
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo

Think someone may well have some of the polycarbonate from the windswept greenhouse here. Don't think it will be worth repairing. Don't tell the kids who paid for it that I'm using the virulent storm that's going on at present to think my way round the seed packets to save replacing. Seems some of my stuff may well be grown outside - it'll be this year's experiment.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Good luck!

I'm still working on finding a greenhouse. Don't really want to pay much for one though.
AKA Simon.

Flo

Trouble with not paying much is that the greenhouse may not be the best. Unless you can find someone selling off a good one for next to nothing.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Have a look on Ebay. If you're willing to dismantle it yourself there's quite often decent ones going cheaply.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin