Do you ever wonder if you take Ishing too far?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Do you ever wonder if you take Ishing too far?

I seem to have developed a strange "thing" of not seeing items for what they are, but rather for what they can be turned into! Friends came to visit the other day and brought gifts with them. A bottle of wine (I recognised that! :drunken: ) and what appeared to me to be a home made cake in a lovely red reused/reusable chocolate container. I made to open the said contaner but was completely unable to do so :? :dontknow: - then I discovered that it was in fact a sealed, brand new, red, reusable container that at the present time held chocolates but could at a later date be used to hold home made cake! :oops: :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Russian Doll

Re: Do you ever wonder if you take Ishing too far?

lol..im the same...im forever checking out the bin sheds in our flats as people round here throw out so much...so far ive recyled a bookshelf..beds and various plant pots

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

yep. me too. I miss the communal bins from the flats I used to live in hahaha!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Where-as I packed my daughter's mended plate in a box that had held biscuits so not only did she have her plate safely wrapped, but she also had something to put her crackers in. I'm really proud of her; most of her flat has been furnished with charity shop stuff.

I'm also using Summer tee shirts to wrap ornaments in to cut down on packaging for our forth-coming move.

Too ISH? isn't that like too much chocolate? ie impossible! :wink:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Ha, I do find that I end up recycling everybody else's stuff for them. I have freecycled a bed, a sofa, a tv, and several other bits on behalf of friends this year. I'm thinking of setting up a business freecycling other people's stuff for them. Just got to work out how to get paid for doing it.

But I do always try to work out what something can be used for before I throw it away. I've even been known to chose the brand of food I buy according to what the packaging can be reused for.

Zoe

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

MuddyWitch wrote:I'm also using Summer tee shirts to wrap ornaments in to cut down on packaging for our forth-coming move.
Ooh great idea!

StripyPixieSocks

Imagine if you will it's 3am, we're just about to go to bed and your OH looks out of the window and a small squeal escapes from his lips... he rushes downstairs and returns with about 10 meters of electrical cable which one of the neighbours had thrown out and left on the bin along with a pair of trainers.

We then spent the next hour and a half skimming off the plastic outer and winding it all up and now I have lots of lovely copper wire for jewellery making :D

The trainers were gone as well next time we looked out fo the window lol

Now we spend our time noseying in skips as we pass... well... more so than the OH has been doing for about 40 years... and his father before him :D

I spend ages looking at rubbish before we throw it away to see if there is absolutely anything I could rescue and use craftily... I've lost count of the times I've hoiked something out of a box and wondered why the hell I saved it for but then put it back just incase I remember later!!

I wouldn't say it was an obsession, or taking things to far but it has become second nature :lol:

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Mostly I wonder if I am not taking it far enough, everywhere i go I'm on the lookout for usable things, but sometimes have to leave them because i can't fit them in our Isuzu (truck as the kids call it), or the wife puts her foot down she saw my grandfathers house and doesn't want hours to become the same. she often says what do you want that for or simply yuck no thanks.

maybe I am obsessed or maybe she's not obsessed enough
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

too much ISH? perish the thought!!! lol. I am sitting with my laptop (i don't own a desk top anymore, i was getting a bit long in the tooth (like me :mrgreen: ) so i gave it to someone who did not have one :thumbright: suited there needs just fine.
my feet are up on a small wooden coffee table that one of my sons rescued from the tip and refinished, and i am sitting on his old couch (great shape but they got a new one ) so my old one went to someone else that needed it. maybe if we swap long enough we will get our own stuff back :flower:
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

Milims

Lol! Oh I'm totally up for skip diving, swapping, freecycling, reusing etc - it's just that I now seem to be totally unable to recognise something brand new for what it is! Not even a box of chocolates! :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

prison break fan

Never say no when you are offered something, you won't get asked again! if I can't use it someone else can. pbf.

Stonehead

You're only taking it too far when you look at your children and think, "I wonder how well they'd compost?"

Hmm, that might not be such a bad idea after all...

:mrgreen:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stonehead wrote:You're only taking it too far when you look at your children and think, "I wonder how well they'd compost?"

gotta go with Dennis on this one!
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Flo

Stonehead wrote:You're only taking it too far when you look at your children and think, "I wonder how well they'd compost?"

Having mowed a lot of churchyards which thrive on the additions - the answer is that they'd do very well as compost. :mrgreen:

Milims

My mum is giving me a garden shredder - maybe that would speed things up a bit!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
Edward Monkton