Want to leave teaching and don't know what to do

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Want to leave teaching and don't know what to do

seems to me you are on the road to a different career path
I really hope so. I went out for a meal with some of the older ladies from my school a few weeks ago and they just spent the whole time moaning about how terrible the school is. I asked them why they didnt leave and they said it was because their pay was good and it was convenient.
I really dont want to end up like them.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Helsbels,

I've been on the supply list for 3 years now, work about a fifth of the time and am not that far down on income. The freedom to be ish in between is wonderful!

The downside is not having that relationship with your own class and the fact that you can be paid up to 2 months in arrears.

The best way to do it is to take your dfee number and a copy of your crb round to those schools where you'd like to work, let them see your face and know that you are available. Once you've been there and they see the quality of your work they'll have you back again and again. On the other hand if you find you don't want a relationship with any particular school you can just turn them down -unless you're desperate for the money.

Go for it!!!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Helsbells

I really like the idea of doing supply but am frightened about not teaching my subject. Also my mum used to do supply teaching and hated it, she was treated really badly.

I am off sick again today with a really bad cold. This is the third day I have had off this term compared to only one day off the whole of last year. Maybe a reflection on the increased pressure and stress this year.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi honey
Sorry you're not so well again - I think you're right it's stress related.

Don't dismiss the supply teaching out of hand. I'm not a teacher, but I was a nurse for many years. I spent several of them doing agency nursing - which is the equivalent of supply teaching.

In my experience, if you go in with a positive attitude and show yourself willing to work, only a very small minority will treat you unkindly. But then that's already happening in your current job. The difference I found was that I could go in, do what I felt was a good days work and come away again without getting bogged down in the politics and general gloom of the place. It worked for me and I was often asked back for longer stints, so they must have liked it too. The odd place I didn't like I never went back too.

Sometimes I found myself out of my field, but at the end of the day nursing is nursing and common sense and following safe procedures got me through. I presume supply teachers are given the curriculum and teaching plans for each class and I'm sure your teaching skills would carry you through too.

I also enjoyed meeting new people regularly and having nice "chats" without getting bogged down in their work problems etc.

Hope this gives you something to think about.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

samuelbaker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi - I've just joined this site and seen your posting. I'm also a teacher in a similar position, having taken my first week off with stress since joining the profession (just before the Christmas break, the day after Ofsted left). Frankly I'd love to pack the whole thing in now and run a small-holding, but that's not going to happen. Over the holidays I started putting together a website for teachers wanting to leave teaching, partly to help myself feel a bit better about things but mainly because there's nothing really out there to support teachers in this position. Perhaps you could take a look at it for me and let me know what you think - is there anything I could add (some pages are still under construction...)? Maybe you could also post your story there too? Thank you, and good luck! Sam

http://www.wanttoleaveteaching.co.uk

Helsbells

Hi Sam,

Oh my gosh I just looked at your website and this is almost exactly what I was typing into google a few weeks ago!!
I will have a proper look in a bit and let you know.
I am feeling really anxious now about going back to school on monday.
It has really struck me this holiday how much of a differant person I am when I am on my breaks. I am not stressed, I dont feel at all depressed or unhappy, my skin has improved I have loads of energy and and just generalyl a much happier, more positive person. I am so worried about going back to work and feeling wretched again.
But like you say I dont kow what else to do. I wanted to go into supply but looking on the tes supply teachers forum, supply work seems to be scarce since their brought in the rarely cover thing.
I am trying to be positive about going back but its very hard.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi Sam and welcome to Ish :wave:

If you go to the introduce yourself section, we'd love to know more about you.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Sam,

Sorry to hear that the job has made you ill. The stress of Ofsted is something people can't imagine unless they've been through it.

Just visited your site. Very thoughtfully put together even though it is still under construction! Although it is not a service I need - I'm quite content with being on supply - this is still something that has been needed for some time, well done! I sincerely hope it helps Helsbels.

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hi helen - hang on in there - it gets worse before it gets better - there are options and not owning a house, renting one for example is an option - we do not have to be tied to bills and we can find other ways - like all teachers - I'm gritting my teeth for the new term - mine starts on Wed!

samuelbaker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Helen - I know what you mean about being a different person on holiday! All the best for tomorrow and good luck with finding something different!

Jim, thanks for your kind words.

Sam

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have a friend who left teaching last summer after hating it for about 10 years.

she has spent the last 6 months doing some counselling courses, and a few short term jobs.

Now she is about to start a new job, doing something completely different. :cheers:

Although it's been tough for her financially , psychologically she says she knows it was the right decision.

I was in a job I hated too for ages, contributed to making me sick (haven't worked since but at least i'm happier!)

Sometimes it gets confusing when we look too far into the future - all we can do is do what feels right now, and see where it leads us.

Might you be eligible for any state benefits if you leave?

good luck.

Alice Abbott
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have a friend back in the UK whose mother found herself in almost the same position, an art teacher at a secondary school and finding it harder and harder to drag herself into work each day. She lives alone so needed an income to pay her rent and bills and was at her wit's end.

This is how SHE solved her problems so perhaps there are some ideas you could pick from this? Her main artistic interest was weaving, felting and fabrics generally. So she mapped out whole afternoons (or mornings) based on teaching the basics of these - finger-weaving, tie dye, felting etc. She then "sold" these workshops to schools over a largeish area, mainly middle school ages - some private and some state. She has been back to some schools several times and has expanded into giving her workshops at residential care homes, after school clubs, holiday clubs, etc. She also does a couple of days a week supply teaching (younger age groups so she doesn't really need a speciality) and weaves and sells her own rugs, hangings, scarves etc. through speciality shops and online.

It has taken her about three years to get this fully off the ground but she is really happy with how it has turned out and says he is financially as well off as when she taught full-time. But much happer!

Helsbells

Hi everyone,
Just though I would update as had a really rough day today. Was sworn at several times by pupils and I ended up crying in the toilets.
On the up side I have applied or another job in a more pleasant school. But I am still having the baby dilema. Really really want a baby now but if I got the job I applied for I would start there in September so wouldnt be very good if I fell pregnant straight away (if I was lucky!!) Or worse still if I "accidentally" got pregnant before then if they had offered me the job. So still a dilema really.
I am forming more of a plan in my mind about getting out but its such a frightening thought to not be having a reliable income, holidays, maternity pay etc.

Thanks everyone for listening and being so helpful
Helen
x

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

What does your OH say? If you both want children soonish then it's best to get out of the stressful job ASAP. Stress can seriously damage your chances of getting pregnant. Can he afford to support you both if you gave up teaching and got a job in a shop or an admin job to tide you over?

Have a chat with a general employment agency, such as Reed about what other jobs you could do with your skills. I bet there is plenty that you could do on a temporary basis while you look around for something more permanent.

Zoe

red

some good advice there from Zoe
you could temp whilst you work out what to do next.
:hugish: hope things improve for you soon
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog