Today I almost....

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Today I almost....

....Saw the Levellers at Brixton Academy. Its a long story, but basically we bought the tickets for me, husband and son six months ago before my husband lost his job. Such treats are now impossibly expensive, so we were really looking forward to this one - well, at least I was. As usual at the weekend, half the tube network was shut for engineering, so it was a bit of struggle tyo get to the venue but we made it. But my son (14), although he has been to gigs before, was totally freaked out by the size of the crowd at the Academy. We watched the support act, The Wonderstuff (remember them?) and it wasn't too bad, but as the time for the Levellers drew near and more and more people piled in - well, it was all too much, and we had to leave. No-one's fault, but I am gutted! :(
Anyone else almost do something today?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Today I almost....

That's a shame, Yvette, but I know what you mean. A few of the last gigs I went to seemed far too packed.

Fortunately, at my age, it's OK to stay at the back wearing earplugs and gently bouncing on the balls of my feet rather than having to be in the crush!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Years back I had tickets to see Lynnrd Skynnrd at Bristol. On the day in question the exhaust fell off my mini van and I didn't go. Three months later half the band died in an aircrash.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've never heard of either group, they were either before my time or, I suspect, after my time. :mrgreen:

Really sorry you had to miss them though. :( :( :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Susiwaa
Tom Good
Tom Good

We almost got organised to go see the Levellers at their next Brixton gig in May, not going to happen :-(

Today I went for a walk around our local woodland paths with my Guides. It was great, we even managed to get them interested in the nature around them. A good day!

bonniethomas06

In 2009 I had tickets to see The Divine Comedy (band not book) at the Barbican in London. We travelled the day before and had an overnight stay before getting the tube over.

Only to find it was the week before :oops: . Once they had finished laughing, the ticket staff very sweetly gave us tickets to the carol concert instead.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Millymollymandy

Bonnie you are showing your age :iconbiggrin: I wonder what you will be like when you get to 50 or 60. :lol:

happyhippy

Decided to accept a new job offer,but declined!I truly hope I don't live to regret that decision! :iconbiggrin:

gregorach

The Levellers and The Wonderstuff are still gigging? Well, there's a turn up for the books...
Cheers

Dunc

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Yvette, I'm really sorry you missed out. I bet the Wonderstuff were good though. I remember all these bands so now I'm really feeling old now.

Zoe

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes the Wonderstuff were good - not only still gigging but starting to make new music amazingly. And the Levellers are touring their 'Levelling the Land' album to celebrate 20 years since its release. Interested to read all your near misses. Really sympathised with missing Lynyrd Skynyrd just before the fatal plane crash. We missed Joe strummer and the Mescaleros on the last tour before Joe Strummer died.
Funny thing about this experience was that it was like a reversal of the age thing. I am never happier than at a gig, preferably in a small, dark venue where your feet stick to the floor from all the spilled beer, jumping up and down in the middle of an enthusiastic and boisterous crowd. I met my partner at the Marquee in Soho at just such a gig. So how have we managed to produce a teenager who wants to SIT DOWN at gigs? It is beyond me...
Over the disappointment now - thanks guys!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Luckily I have a few really good venues around here to see bands. Don't go to the big gigs anymore because I can't seem to find the time. The last band I saw was Jethro Tull at Salisbury in 09. However I still do the odd festival and motorcycle rally when I can.

Big Al

yvette wrote: Funny thing about this experience was that it was like a reversal of the age thing. I am never happier than at a gig, preferably in a small, dark venue where your feet stick to the floor from all the spilled beer, jumping up and down in the middle of an enthusiastic and boisterous crowd. I met my partner at the Marquee in Soho at just such a gig. So how have we managed to produce a teenager who wants to SIT DOWN at gigs? It is beyond me...
Over the disappointment now - thanks guys!
We had a venue in my town just as you described it known locally as " the claggy mat" it was a dance / musuc venue until 11 pm then it turned into a more salubrious use after 11 hence the claggy bit.

I missed Black stone cherry last october due to the car breaking down. That was a mini also.....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Susie

I have only ever been to one gig (it wasn't really a gig it was a concert) and it was a band that were unspeakably naff even when I went. I genuinely can't understand how I have managed to only ever go to one because I love music and I have even been known to leave the house occasionally. This is my shameful confession and normally I only tell people when I am drunk. So Yvette, I feel your pain (theoretically) but see how far up on me you are!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Millymollymandy

:lol: to both Yvette and Susie.

Mind you I would not only want to sit down these days I'd want ear plugs too! :lol: