please help, snail trouble

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

please help, snail trouble

hi all, hope you are well.

I have a snail living in my living room. I don't know where it hides during the day, but everything near the patio door is covered in dried snail-trail every morning....

I would appreciate some advice on how to oust the little freeloading molluscy lodger. I can't very well serve him with a section 21 notice as 1. I'm not his landlord, 2. snails can't read and 3. I'm pretty sure he's unemployed and I'd hate to leave him financially bereft after a lengthy court battle.

how do I get rid of a snail when I don't know where it's hiding. would prefer not to use chemicals as I have a five year old tiny human in my house.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Susie

Re: please help, snail trouble

I don't know, but I'm sympathetic as we've got a slug and sometimes he knocks over papers. If we are up late (1ish), sometimes he comes out and we go ha ha!, pounce and put him outside, but they come in again eventually O_O.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Graye

We had one of these, although it was a slug rather than a snail. He/she used to come under the door at night and wander about before leaving again. When we moved and lifted the sofa it was covered in silver trails - shows how often I moved it I suppose...

Is there some way it could be getting under your patio door?
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

boboff

Trace the snot back to the perimiter and put a little pile of salt down? Think dampest area?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Lost-in-the-Day
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have a little slug who lives in my bathroom. :iconbiggrin: If you want to catch the little fellow you will have the best luck in the late evening and night time when they are active. Just pop into the living room before bed and you'll find him in no time, that or try to follow his trails back to his hiding place.
Stop Animal Cruelty this Christmas- http://lost-in-the-day.blogspot.com/201 ... stmas.html

spider8

We have this problem with small slugs. There are tiny weeny holes in the frame of the patio door (which we keep meaning to block up) and the little critters come in, have a good slide around then hide..........we do find them, usually by stepping on one and sliding along the lino :pukeright: They do come out late evening and night as said here already so go hunting then. Ours have a short sharp flying lesson but it's an on-going problem..........until we fill up those ruddy holes!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Susie

Looks like it's going to be a nighttime vigil for you, Mrs Flib... ;-).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Could always put a beer trap down. At least it would die happy.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Glad I'm not the only one - I have cup-shaped handles on my kitchen drwers, and when I put my fingers under to pull out the drawer the other day there was a snail hiding there! Probably came through the catflap!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's even more impressive than Santa Claus coming down the chimney, Yvette.

:shock: :shock: What have I said? :oops:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Shirley

I've recently moved back to my mum's and the slugs used to come into my bedroom every night and have a party - there were 7 one night! I could even HEAR them. Anyway - I put salt around the bottom of the skirting boards (this brought out pools of water from the wooden floorboards so I'm not entirely sure what's wrong there but they are obviously very damp) - I also sprayed WD40 at the base of the outside wall and on the airbrick (I strongly suspect the airbrick as their main entrance) - I've not had one slug in since.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I've been trying the salt and still getting trails so he must be active elsewhere now, but I'm buggered if I can find the little oojamyflip!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!