Unusual Finds!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Re: Unusual Finds!

Yes I have known this to happen because of rates. My parents house had two hidden rooms off the loft. These had been sealed off when the house was divided in 1949 and the access to them was from next door only. Me and my Dad found them when we were in the huge loft and noticed what had been an access door to the loft area from one of the rooms. we entered and found two huge sealed off rooms. They stayed sealed off. The house was sold last year and the new owner intends building a staircase and accessing them from below on the first floor.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

We found a copy of the Sun from 1980 when we pulled up the livingroom carpet to check the extent of the damp lol. it was being used as underlay.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aww, such a really lovely sweet post x
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

mrsflibble wrote:We found a copy of the Sun from 1980 when we pulled up the livingroom carpet to check the extent of the damp lol. it was being used as underlay.
My mum and dad found love notes from the former owner to his lover (not his wife...) when they pulled the carpet up.

They also found out (after the washing machine flooded) that the hideous avocado green carpet that was EVERYWHERE in the house was a really expensive make (can't remember which one). They only found out when the house insurance company tested it to see how much they owed Mum and Dad when they claimed for flood damage. If i remember rightly, the insurance from the horrible green carpet paid for new carpet everywhere and decorating the bedrooms :) It was a marvellous discovery for my parents at the time - they wouldn't have been able to afford to decorate otherwise!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Around 50 years ago my mother rented out a shop to two gentlemen who dealt in records, audio and other electrical goods. They went bust fairly soon and the bailiffs moved in. My mother did not recover the rent owed to her as there were more serious creditors who came first. She was given all the contents which the bailiffs left. This included a record player, other pretty worthless articles and a box of 10 x8 colour pictures of a new group being promoted at the time. There was about 100 pics with about one third being signed in ink by all of the group. A school friend and me spent an enjoyable half an hour ripping them all up. Shortly after they had their first record in the chart and later their first number one. I can still see the ink signatures of John, Paul, George and Ringo :(

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did your mother ever forgive you?! :lol:

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Nope! I am glad she never read this link!!!! Those pics were probably among the very first ever to be signed by them! Priceless!

http://beatlesautographs.com/photographs.htm

:pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

CRIMENY Bill!!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Penny Lane

Flipping heck Bill! Your mother must have gone mad when she found out!

When my mum was a kid, she and her family lived in South Africa. One day she was digging about in a bit of earth behind their house when she found a small statue about 6 or 7 inches tall. It was made of bronze by the looks and had a pin at the bottom that slotted into something. It was an Indian ornament and it wasn't until my mother befriended a Hindu 30 years later did she find out that it is a figure of the Goddess Kali. She was told that if a Hindu had found the object a temple would have been built on the site it was buried! We don't know what it could have been slotted into but it's missing the circle that usually goes around Kali so probably something like that.
She's still got it on her mantelpiece!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

What an interesting story! Wonder how it arrived in South Africa? Maybe this is a clue?
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/india ... uth-africa

Penny Lane

Ooo thanks for the link Bill, we have wondered about it over the years. Perhaps we should look in to it some more...
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Also the 90th foot regiment was in India before moving to South Africa for the Zulu wars. Could it have been pilfered by a soldier from Hindu temple?

http://www.britishbattles.com/zulu-war/khambula.htm