Weather!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Weather!

What IS going on? This is supposed to be flaming June.

I was up at 7am clearing culverts and drains blocked with leaves, twigs and even branches and stones brought down out of the hills. Even had to go back in for longer wellies at one point as the puddles and ditches were so deep. The lane outside our house was flowing like a river and the actual river (usually about 6m away and lower down) was to the top of its bank and planning on joining in too.

The birds are struggling to find enough to feed their young without being able to feed themselves so all the bird feeders are back out and a pair of magpies have moved into the slope under the summerhouse to keep dry. Power is off and on that basis so is the pump for the borehole. So no comforting cups of tea are being had either.

We've had people emailing all morning to make sure we haven't been washed away and telling us the local news about floods in Aberystwyth and thast area generally (about 20 miles from here). I know the people looking after the Osprey project nearby are struggling and worried about what is happening to the poor birds who are trying to protect their two tiny chicks. They have no power either, the road and railway running by them are closed and people have been evacuated.

There must be a plus side somewhere...
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weather!

There is.

It'll stop.

Before July :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes it will, and probably well before July. :iconbiggrin:
We had all of that on Wednesday night, ALL day and night Thursday and Friday morning with 60mm of rain and gale force winds ... and COLD, we had a fire on Thursday night, can't remember ever having to light a fire in June.
But it's all gone now, almost forgotten about, nice warm sunshine and OH moaning a bit about no wind to stir her washing about on the line.
And the bonus is that I won't have to worry about our spring drying up for another week or two. :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

battybird

We still have howling winds, and very local showers / storms. Last night I did a night shift and it was really cold..had to turn all the radiators on! Maybe the summer will start soon and go on till end November??
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

haha!

its 37 degrees here! we have to keep and the windows and doors closed so the heat doent come it. its like a sauna outside!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

dave45

its nothing new... I remember lighting the fire last june

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Even I gave in and lit a fire last night. Today it's been beautiful but apparently that's not going to last. I don't think this year's fruit crop is going to be very good, a lot of the fruit trees have very little fruit on them and what there is gets blown off in the wind.

Zoe

gdb
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

well the sun is out in sweden and we've had much less rain than normal...

i'll send you chilly brits some firewood, shall I?
http://www.geoffbunn.com geoff bunn art and artist

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's hot here :)

Sadly, it's also farmers-burning-the-fields season, so going out for a walk is nigh on impossible. It looks like fog...but it's smoke :(

Millymollymandy

Pretty dismal here but none of the torrential rain like in the UK. I saw all the Welsh flooding on Springwatch last night.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

So...now I'm echoing Graye - What is going on?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -high.html

Apparently, the yellow fog that we've got here is unusual...I never knew!
I still reckon that its fields burning - it smells like burning outside and makes your eyes sting, itch and water.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Well it was dry here today, at long last, but every time the rain stops the pollen comes out with a vengeance.

Zoe

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well I have to report ... it's back !!
Woke up this morning to strong wind and torrential rain that's supposed to last for two days, and cold, it's only 10c as I write this.
So don't get too complacent as I think it's forecast to spread to most of the UK later, except Scotland (again!) which is full of smug people who probably think we are just getting our comeuppance. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'm saying nothing. (Wanders off with smug grin) :iconbiggrin:

Actually I've been watching the news clips and it looks terrible in parts - hope everyone's OK.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

It is strange, we went to Newquay on Sunday for a couple of nights, and spent Monday on the Beach, bodyboarding and swimming in the see is just normal swimming costumes, off of the 70's, no wet suits or dry suits or pussy protectors for the Off's I tell you.

Whilst there our home some 60 miles away only was hit with rain and hail and wetness in many forms, it was kind of a giveaway when the kids went back to school with sun burn!

Odd, but then even just in Cornwall you can have extremes in one day. I think just be gratefull for the rain, and the Sun when it comes.

Anyway, given the "holiday" was £15 a night for 4 us in the Seafront Travellodge, we had a great room overlooking the beach and sea, and were spoilt with the Weather, I am NOT complaining about anything!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/