horse milk

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

horse milk

I just read somwhere that horse milk is going to marketed in the UK. It's better for you than cows milk apparently. Has anyone tried it?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

I do hope this isnt true!

Here in France of course they do eat horsemeat, which I have no real problem with despite being a horse owner for 40years and not bearing to think about the horsefarming side of things! But even in France they dont sell Mares Milk?

Surely to get a mare to produce any where near as much as a modern dairy cow or goat would be a long process? Cows sheep goats are specially bred for dairy produce so which horse breeds are they considering?? :pale:

ukgrapevine

PS added to last mssge

........of course the Bedouins drink mares milk from arabian mares in the desert... :?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

It does seem to be true this is where i heard about it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... world.html

I would imagine that it is goign to be very expensive.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

gug

soya milk for health ?

>I just read somwhere that horse milk is going to marketed in the UK. It's >better for you than cows milk apparently. Has anyone tried it?

Hi,

sort of related (ish) - and maybe of interest..

Aparently, in order to digest "normal" milk (cows/mothers etc) you require an enzyme called lactase ( i think ).
Trouble is, you stop producing when you are a young child (which makes sense because milk is, after all designed by nature, to fatten up infants very quickly - no other animal drinks milk past "childhood").

Anyway, for years I had digestion troubles (nothing dramatic) just a lot of wind (belching/indigestion/regular heartburn etc) - I switched to soya milk about two years ago and my health (wrt indegestion) has been much improved - nowadays i rarely get indigestion at all.

If you're not used to soya milk then it can taste a bit odd, but you soon get used to it - i rarely ever touch the normal stuff anymore.

anyway... not sure about horses milk, the thought of milking one is bizarre !

cheers

Gug

Chickenlady
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Personally I hope it doesn't catch on. Horses are wonderful animals, and I hate the idea of them being used in this way, especially if it leads to the kind of intensive farming other animals have to endure. I would not buy it!

realwildchild
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

*checks date to see if it's 1st April .....nope!*

I've been a vegan for a while now and find the thought of drinking milk which has been produced to feed a different species' offspring really weird - years ago, I used to drink milk without giving it a second thought but I find the idea really horrible now.

Imagine you had always had horse milk for sale, had spent your whole life drinking it, and then someone tried to sell you cows milk!

When I was younger and someone gave me goats milk I almost threw up when I found out what I was drinking - now you see goats milk and cheese in every supermarket and it is quite normal, horse milk may one day be the same!