Alternative to Co-op bank

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Thurston Garden
A selfsufficientish Regular

Alternative to Co-op bank

I have banked happily with smile.co.uk, part of the Co-op for a number of years. I recently tried to open a basic business current account with the Co-op and it has been a complete debacle on their part. They lost the first application, lost part of the second application and have promised bank account details 'within 48 hours' and they are still to arrive.

In desperation, I spoke to the Manager of business account openings who was less than apologetic. She then announces it would be a further 4 weeks until I was able to deposit cash as I intended to use the local post office. This would mean that form beginning to end, the application process would have taken 3 months. I told them politely to shove their account. Annoyingly due to lack of local facilities, I have no alternative to open a business account with RBS.

I am so annoyed, I am considering moving my personal banking from them too. Does anyone have experience of an ethical bank other than the Co-op? Triodos does not seem to have a current account, only savings accounts. There's no credit union nearby. Online banking is all I require.

Ta.
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: Alternative to Co-op bank

Have you considered a building society? I had very good service from the Nationwide, though it was a few years back and I can't remember what their online banking was like.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

No, but when you find one let me know. Our only option is RBS too.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Thurston Garden

Thanks both. I have almost calmed down and feel that the potential upheaval of moving from smile might outweigh the (now) minimal benefit. I am just so disappointed the Co-op could muck up my account opening so badly, and not care much about it.
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I had a similar experience with the co-op years ago. I wanted to open my student account with them and they lost the application and took eons with the second application and didn't seem to give a damn.

I'm afraid I can't offer an alternative but I do sympathise.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had a similar experience with a normal account with the Co-op in the early 90s. They were so bad I went back to Lloyds. They closed the local branch in Cheltenham (of all places), they wouldn't give me a cheque guarantee card for over a month and only gave us a cash point card. So we were unable to buy anything without forward planning, they put my name first on the joint account and told my wife they wouldn't deal direct with her because my name was first, then denied having said that!

Mined ewe, Lloyds can't seem to get my online banking to work, my wife can do it but not me.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot