Busy week

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Busy week

Since we moved in we've had plans for this house. What with one thing and another little of it has happened and over time the plans have changed, either due to changed circumstances or evolving ideas.

When the boiler, expired about 18 months ago, the plumber suggested moving the new one to exactly the place we had talked about (and dismissed as too expensive) 5 years before! So that changed our plans for the kitchen and meant my long held dream of knocking down a couple of walls, turning three small rooms into a huge dining kitchen have been able to happen.

First step was building a boiler room round the new boiler and thermal store. That happened a few months ago. Then last weekend the walls came down. And it's fantastic. I'm still clearing away plaster dust, which keeps re-appearing and all our beloved books have had to be packed away until we manage to put the bookshelves up in their new home, but the whole place feels light and airy and my farmhouse table which has always been shoved in a corner because none of the rooms were big enough for it is now in the middle - no more dinner on our laps. :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Busy week

Sounds great - congratulations! I moved into this house 5 years ago, and basically I'm still camping in it... Should take what you've done as inspiration!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds excellent.

This old place was divided into 3 S/C flats(on separate floors,with an outside staircase connecting GF to flat 2 ).So we could do with an indoor staircase.Now here's the best bit about not rushing things(2yrs in and very little progress..)In a thunderous Damascan moment I realised that rather install a new inside staircase, uniting the whole house as it were,I'm going to build an outside wall around the present outside staircase(i.e.making it an indoor one).So no stairwell probs(not going to tell the planners,this is 2 star listed).

Now that sort of ingenuity cannot be rushed,so I'm going to have another little think for a few months...

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

You just can't rush these things. The thing I like best is that, although it's taking much longer, we're doing it all ourselves. There's no high tech stuff, just stud walls and moving electrical sockets but we can adjust plans hour by hour if we figure out something better.

On to the next bit soon - my beautiful oak kitchen (from Ebay, of course :iconbiggrin: ) has been sitting in my shop for three years! Now the walls are down and we've worked out how/where to fit it we can proceed. The biggest problem is how to get it from one end of the house to the other - we have a long corridor and it's very heavy! We may have to load it on to the van and drive it round. :lol:
Maggie

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree wholeheartedly, you most certainly can't rush these things.
This coming winter I have 2 smallish jobs to do, knock down the built-in wardrobe in our bedroom and refurbish the bathroom. Both of those jobs have been sort of "on the waiting list" since we moved in, and that was 20 years ago this December.
You have to make sure of what you want, to be sure to be sure. (to be doubly sure, as they say over here)
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brilliant, Maggie - I know exactly how that feels.

Cook, eat, waltz and enjoy :cheers: :cheers:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Flo

Some people obviously don't have significant other halves demanding that jobs be done now, at once, this moment. :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

In my last job before moving up here I had a client whose wife demanded a complete redecoration of her house, including furniture every 6-12 months. And he obliged her - mind you I'm sure he'd been a bad lad over the years (I was a drug worker) so it was probably some sort of punishment/penance thing. But twice a year? She probably never saw the new furniture for dust covers! :lol:

I like to acclimatise before making any major decisions. Seven years seems about right. :wink:
Maggie

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seven years? Why so rash?
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

SusieGee

Good to hear Maggie, so pleased for you. We've been back in our house a year now after 4 years in the temp accommodation and we still haven't got a shower or downstairs bathroom (our bedroom is down stairs) I love baths but long for a shower! These things take time. Good luck with the kitchen :-)
Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

And with the bathroom, Susie.

No matter what we do, our concrete box won't hold a candle to your little hovel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie