cordless electric chainsaws /pruners

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

cordless electric chainsaws /pruners

Anybody have one? or used one? any recommendations (or otherwise) re particular brand /model ?

I do understand the main view that a "proper" petrol chainsaw would be better, BUT i seem to be totally incapable of firing one up! hence the need for electric!
I don't want/ need anything extra large, just to be able to trim stuff down to a more manageable size that I can fit into (small) car,or carry/drag to get back home, where I can hand saw it smaller if needs be.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: cordless electric chainsaws /pruners

I've never used a cordless one, although I do have a cordless mower which is a lot better than I expected.
I do however use a corded electric chainsaw and I would never go back to a petrol one provided I could reach with an extension lead.

Beware though the Lidl one, it works well and on first glance it looks like the chain tensioner is a "good idea". You don't need a spanner or a screw driver to tighten the chain, just loosen with a knob, tighten the chain with the same knob and then lock with the same knob. The problem is the mechanism to tighten is a small peg which easily snaps if you give it too much welly, and you have to replace the whole mechanism to mend.
I bought a Bosch, which uses the old fashioned spanner and screwdriver way, takes a bit longer but cheaper in the long run.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks Odsox

It has to be cordless, as a 2km extension cord is not really possible!

I do already have a Black & decker Alligator saw, (but corded) and that is a lovely bit of kit! especially as I got it in a 2nd hand place for 30 euros, but it was brand new! It says up to 4" , but will go to quite a bit more. I did look at the cordless version, but doesnt seem to be available in europe ( except via fleabay, and sent from US) so the charger would be a problem re voltage.

There are so many out there, its hard to know what is waht and which might be good or not!

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

A simple solution could be a small petrol jenny..........

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

I did think of that possibility, but its not truly an option, as it would need to be transported , and some places i could cut wood, are not that easily accessed, or at least not with even the smallest jenny, and some places definitely not suitable for running power cords ( along the banks of a small stream), and then there´d be the extra costs too, as i dont really ( at present) have any use for a jenny

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I haven't used a cordless saw, but my experiences with other rechargeable tools say that batteries are always a problem. When they're new they usually work quite well, but the batteries soon lose their power. Particularly cheap ones, which are pretty useless, but even more expensive ones I still find somewhat disappointing. Don't expect to do a lot of sawing with it on one charge, and most likely after about 20 recharges the time it runs for will rapidly get shorter.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have a ryobi 18v cordless chainsaw with li-ion baterries

it's part of the one+ range, and i have quite a few tools all using the same batteries

The saw is only for light work and is very slow, how ever it does have lots of toque, so is suprisingly strong if used correctly

The slow chain speed also makes it very safe

for the €120 I paid it is well worth it, but I won't be cutting any tree's down with it

apart from Christmas trees, that is

i also have a Husqy 61, and an 1kw makita corded

If you want to cut tree's without leccy you are just going to have to get strong enough to pull start a petrol saw or see if you can find a button start saw (or jerry rig one with science)

or hire a strong person
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln