Morbid question alert

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
sususanan

Morbid question alert

If someone has arranged their funeral, dies but hasn't made arrangements for WHERE to be buried, and assuming family don't want to get involved in the process, what happens to the body or ashes?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Morbid question alert

Crikey, I've got no idea.

Ashes, I think, would just be scattered at the crematorium if no one claims them - they spread them round the gardens.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think that Maggie is right - there is usually an area designated for remembrance and that area takes a lot of ashes.

sususanan

That sounds nice enough. I still wonder about a whole body though.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

The local council deals with this. There are things called paupers funerals that are arranged by the local authority if there are no relative. Alternatively, you can leave your body to medical science and when you die, a private ambulance takes the body and keeps it for up to 5 years and then provides a funeral when they are done with it.

Flo

I was just going to say the same dnd.

sususanan

My understanding of a pauper funeral is it's for someone who hadn't made any arrangements. In my scenario, the person has paid and arranged for the funeral in its entirety, except the bit of ground to be laid to rest in.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the funeral directors would want to be made aware of that beforehand, I don't really think you could arrange for a funeral without having that part of it decided. Most people these days are cremated because of the costs of buying a grave.

happyhippy

Yes I agree.How is it possible to have paid for a funeral and not specified where you are going to be laid to rest?I think paupers graves are for those who have no funds at all for a cremation or buriel.My Gran had one (She was estranged from her family).She was cremated and ashes buried in a communal lawn type area.No plaque's either.

sususanan

All I've found out recently is that they are two separate arrangements. But it made me wonder what would happen if, with all that's involved in organising things for the funeral itself, the arrangement for the burial plot was overlooked. I don't know if you have to show there is a plot before continuing with the funeral plan, or if you have to show you have a funeral plan before you pay for a plot.

happyhippy

Not sure what happens over here (I'm from Australia)but when my Mum passed away in Aust,we had to show proof of the designated plot within the cremo grounds.Mum had "brought"it so she could be laid to rest next to my Dad.It was within a rose garden,and yes they have plaques too.