Self Isolation

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Self Isolation

We've had your closures for a good few days now Weedo. There was been a resulting outbreak of public stupidity yesterday as the weather was lovely. The crowds went to the beach, any local beauty spot as well as any open National Trust type place and decided to fill up all the car parks in close pack sardine fashion (colloquial saying here) and then go for communal walks almost hand in hand looking at the pictures. It's amazing how many places are now shutting their car parks and public toilets now immediately and also gating up their local beauty spots. Lot of our big shopping chains are closing for a period due to lack of customers. An odd picture of the two sides of the coin.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Yes Flo - the beaches were closed around Sydney and Melbourne after their populace mass congregated in the last few days of summer. However, my personal, private, no you can't visit beach is still open - all it lacks is salt, surf, lifesavers and sharks.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

ina

Weedo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:00 pm Y However, my personal, private, no you can't visit beach is still open - all it lacks is salt, surf, lifesavers and sharks.
Can't see anything wrong with that! :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

I could well get used to this self isolation.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Flo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:59 pm I could well get used to this self isolation.
I have to admit, it's productive; I've serviced the car, hoed beds like a fiend, barrowed compost around and done unprecedented amounts of DIY.

For me, it's not all bad so far.
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Flo

After today when the minions (daughter and husband) have put together the garden cabinet for the mower I'm a free agent and can take my daily exercise to the allotment (well so far I can till we are told different). It'll be quieter there than on the end of the computer keyboard doing allotment committee paperwork.

ina

I'm getting a bit annoyed at this... So last night at half past nine our boss sent an email round to all staff that we were only allowed in today until 12, to pick up things we might need or tidy etc, and then only essential staff would be allowed to stay on (there's some projects ongoing that can't be stopped, especially in plant experiments/breeding). That seemed to be in line with what the government told us. And just now on BBC the following:
"But on Tuesday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said those who cannot work from home should go to work "to keep the country running"."

Er - what? :scratch:
Ina

Flo

Left hand not knowing what right hand doing and brain not in gear ina. Or basically the chancellor has just told the cabinet what the cost will be if the country is shut down. Wait for the NHS tells him what will happen when there's a great big spike due to his policies or Boris fires him for not toeing the line.

ina

I find it really quite upsetting. I notice it in my health - because of my thyroid condition (overactive) I have high blood pressure and palpitations, which have got worse in the last few days of uncertainty. Last night I woke up, read the news and promptly couldn't get back to sleep - consequently I'm feeling rotten today. All this adds to the problems we have with the virus...
I'm not looking at works emails until tomorrow. Hopefully I get a good nights sleep before then.
Ina

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

ina wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:51 pm And just now on BBC the following:
"But on Tuesday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said those who cannot work from home should go to work "to keep the country running"."

Er - what? :scratch:
I didn't work today largely because the government advice was so unclear. I had arranged garden work but couldn't see this being classed as essential work. Now it seems i'm ok to go out. I'd be working on my own and not going anywhere near anyone else so i would think my chances of catching something must be pretty low. How much i contribute to keeping the country running is perhaps a moot point. I did call round to the builders merchants to get timber in preperation of working at home. Seemed to be the only merchants around here open and then only to trade customers . They were operating a one in one out policy , preferably no cash , the obvious social distancing and pin machines and the like were disinfected after every transaction. I've already stopped internal works and may have to rethink other work too , it's not as if i'm desperate for the money.

Weedo

The Australia Government social security online network collapsed yesterday - On Sunday they announced the mandatory closure of all pubs, clubs, entertainment venues, restaurants, cafes' etc. Guess what? Most people employed in those businesses are casual or temps working shifts , ergo, come Monday midday they were unemployed - 220,000 of them all applying for assistance at once - the length of the queues at offices was measured in hours, not numbers. The responsible Ministers response? My bad - I didn't think there would be so many.

ina

Just shows that those in charge of us don't really know what goes on... Similar situation here. And they just can't understand that somebody who doesn't get a pay check one month really doesn't have the option of getting a larger overdraft, or buy on credit - the rich just borrow another million, no probs! It doesn't help that the food banks had to close now... Our community shop is still open on a one in, one out basis (they have some food for free), but I don't know how long they'll be able to keep that up.
Ina

Flo

I think that the Great British Public may soon get the idea as it seems that our county is closing all public toilets. Could be interesting but at least less interesting than if the pubs were still open.

Weedo

So, instead of the carp being in one place where the risk can be managed it will now be under every tree and bush around the public parks etc. Sound thinking!

Here the Sates are virtually closing the borders, particularly those with limited entrance points (Tassie, WA, QLD) - if you are not a resident or don't have a really good reason for going there, you will be turned back - If you are allowed in the there is a 2 week mandatory isolation period.

Wonder what is happening to the thousands of Grey Nomads with no fixed address wandering the country towing their oversized caravans?

ina

Weedo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:52 pm
Wonder what is happening to the thousands of Grey Nomads with no fixed address wandering the country towing their oversized caravans?
That's a problem, as are the many homeless.
Ina