Got the Signoff...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Got the Signoff...

It's probably scuppered many peoples' plans, Viper. Sounds like you're thinking things through and erring on the side of caution until all becomes clearer - whenever that is. :dontknow: Never a bad idea.

I hope all goes well for you. Indeed, for us all!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Viper254 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:44 pm Our library is doing a click and collect system whereby you can log in to their system and order books, then they will give you a designated time to collect them. Might be something for you to explore.
Viper254 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:44 pm I haven't juggled renovations, working, allotmenteering and leisure time well this year.
No maybe not, but you have gained experience and can look at what you felt didn't go right. Maybe laying out a plan helps. Or knowing what went wrong with the last plan. Or deciding what is the most profitable use of your time.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I managed to reduce my hours to three days last year. I’d asked for four but was told they wouldn’t be able to find anyone to pick up one day from me. If I did three days, then they could afford to employ someone else at three days in a job share. In the end, they had a reshuffle and didn’t take anyone one to job share with me but I lost a day’s pay anyway. A year on and my part time role is being made redundant and being replaced with a full time one. I could apply for it but I’m so fed up with being messed around, I’m taking the money and running. Going to try something completely new.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good on you. It can be hugely rewarding - not necessarily financially but as long as you can pay your bills that's fine - you've got all your design skills. And don't forget your Ish skills too. :hugish:
Maggie

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That's awesome :)

Mrs. Viper has been told she may or may not be made redundant at the end of May. Clarity would have been better than just worrying about it for 3 months, so I've put a pause on pretty much every life decision for now.
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Flo

Write up a budget for the worst case scenario then Mr Viper. It'll keep you busy and cure the worry as you will have some plan for the worst.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, just carry on working out the plan. Maybe Mrs Viper will do some of it rather than you, at least until she finds other employment, but it'll keep the goal in sight.

Budget, use any redundancy money wisely (get rid of any debts etc) and don't panic. :grouphug:
Maggie

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the advice. Potential redundancy money (not a lot) will cover debts (also, fortunately, not a lot) and we can tick over beyond that, just about, if I take the car off the road and we keep the purse strings tight.

I'll do some budgets over the weekend. Thankfully I'm fairly good with budgeting!
AKA Simon.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We're back on course. Mrs. Viper is no longer getting made redundant and has managed to slide in to a better job due to other people leaping before they were pushed. It's all been a bit hunger games, but I'm glad she's done alright.

I might still be on course for Spring 2022, although it's more likely to be half a day rather than a full day that I would drop now. The past 12 months have made me more financially cautious.

On the upside, food production here is indeed increasing fast, with some of last year's work now starting to bear (literal and metaphorical) fruit. Although everything is quite far behind due to the cold snap, we're now enjoying piles of broad beans, as much fruit as we can eat and good salad. It's surprising (to me, not to you) how much of your diet can consist of fruit and salad when you want it to.

Got sweetcorn, broccoli, sprouts, kale, squash (assorted), runner beans and spuds all going for broke.

Two more raised beds to build and a decent plan for rotation; I'm acutely aware my brassicas have all been in the same place for two years now and I need to give that bed a break next year to grazing rye.

Starting to dabble with brewing and bottling a bit, though it's new territory for me and I'm not a drinker.

Don't think I'm going to manage tomatoes this year as I haven't built the greenhouse up yet, although we do at least have one this time.

So things are going in the right direction!
AKA Simon.

Flo

Ah so it's not sleeping on the streets for the Viper household then after all. Learn to freeze, preserve, bottle - grow crops that can be made into something long lasting. This time of year from now till end of blackberries on the farm mother lived in the kitchen preserving, bottling, jam making. It's the jam and pickle making that helps. Life's little luxuries that won't be on the shopping bill till the next crop. At least nowadays we have deep freezers so we can keep more of our crops longer.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

....and fermenting. I much prefer lacto-fermented veg to pickled - except picalilli of course. :lol:
Maggie

ina

Good news! I'm glad for you.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Picallilli is heaven as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Ina!

Got my books out and need to start getting the hang of this preserving business; that's sound advice :)

Managed to get a perrenial kale in a plant swap this week, but it's looking a bit worse for wear, will see how that pans out!
AKA Simon.

ina

And you'll be so healthy with all that veg... ;)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Believe me, the preserving is a job that will keep you busy and if the ingredients are free - excellent. Have you thought of learning to forage?