Cooking, with kids - or - Bolly, Dolly style

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Tracey Smith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cooking, with kids - or - Bolly, Dolly style

I have just had one of the most enjoyable hours, getting dinner ready with my 4 year old, Dolly.

We chopped, hacked, stirred, mixed and cooked a bolognese sauce, using one my favourite recipes.

We had such a lovely time and the whole process took an age, but I would not have started it with her, if I had expected it to be done in 5 minutes.

....and so to my point.

Involving the kids with cooking is often a messy process and takes far longer than you anticipate, but you can have such a laugh with it and they feel involved, important and their confidence blossoms.

She can recite the ingredients for most of my favourite recipes and can chop with the best of them.....munching anything she can pinch along the way :lol:

From time to time, we should look at cooking not as a chore, but an experience that can be enjoyed by the adult and the child.

They need to grow up understanding food does not come out of cold boxes from the freezer section, but from the ground, trees and the from the animals around us.

There is so much more to life than pierce and ding!
Tracey Smith

Author of 'The Book of Rubbish Ideas'
http://www.BookOfRubbishIdeas.co.uk

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

my mum used to involve me and Dave in cooking now and then. It becam a real treat to help. I think having these positive experiences in the kitchen have help shaped is to a couple of bloke who enjoy cooking.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging