Hangover remedy

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hangover remedy

I appear to have drank a little too much last night and today im paying for it with the hangover from hell.

I was wondering how you all deal with your hangovers and if theres any special remedys you use?

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pint if ornage juice(sipped slowly or it will put in a re-appearance rather quickly) and a hot pastie, two ibroprofen and a quiet day !!

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

If it's a bad one, get someone to go to the local shop and get a bottle of Aqua Libra or even two bottles. Expensive but always do the trick for me...along with a paracetamol for the feeling of an axe that's stuck in the back of your head!
:drunken:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

2steps

never had a hangover but been told a fried breakfast works

Boots

Best thing I found to work was to stop drinking. :mrgreen:

Works a treat.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

hedgewizard

I've researched this a bit - mild hangovers are mostly hypoglycaemia and dehydration, so a cup of sweet tea can help (I find orange juice too acid). For more advanced poisoning, fatty foods help take a little of the ketones out of your bloodstream, so the fried breakfast is a good idea if you can stomach it. In all cases, simple analgesics can take the edge off.

However, I'd suggest finding a personal warning sign for when it's time to switch to fruit juice - mine has always been that when the *very* tip of my nose goes numb, it's time to stop!

chadspad

I have a cup of tea with 4 sugars (bought to me in bed by my laughing hubby!), a glass of water and a bar of chocolate - then go back to sleep for an hour and Im fine :wink:
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

glenniedragon

A hangover is one of the few times I can't stomach chocolate, hot sweet green tea (with honey) my tip, and more sleep and analgesia. That about sums it up-they really do get worse as you get older don't they?, mine seem to have for a lot less than I used to drink- cheaper is about the only good thing about that

kind thougths
Deb

The Chili Monster

My recovery process involves 1 banana (potassium)and 1 can of flat cola (caffeine, sugar). In the rare instances that I have been at all organised, a pint of water consumed before going to bed works quite well but then again so does pain relief and staying in bed all day.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Paddy's mum
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My answer to a hangover (apart from abstinence) [haven't we all heard it - 'it's self inflicted - no sympathy from me'] is:-

Water, water, water and yet more water. Apparently it washes the toxins out of the gut, blood and liver. The reason for the headache, I'm told, is dehydration as the body uses every scrap of spare fluid to clear what is poison from the body. In short, the brain suffers from lack of free fluid.

Consumption of so much water may mean you get up more often for the loo but think of its cheapness - and at least, every time you have to get up, you have an inbuilt check of how your inebriation levels are doing!

wulf

Hydration is definitely important: better than waking up in the morning with a headache is to drink plenty of water the night before. In fact, alternate your booze drinking with plenty of water guzzling too and you may be even better off.

Of course, if your plan is really just to get blinding drunk, then you'll either have to face the prospect of a grotty day following or look at drinking things with relatively few impurities (vodka seems regarded as a pretty clean choice).

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

Definitely orange juice, before I go to bed if I remember. When your body is processing the alcohol it uses up it's vitamin C reserves which are why hangovers are often associated with stomach problems, shakiness and other such things. Anything high in vitamin C will do the trick if the orange juice is too acid.

Milims

There's a homeopathic remedy called nux vomica (literally vomiting nuts!! Yuck) Crush one pillule and put it into a bottle of mineral water and sip. It really does work for getting rid of the nausea and helps to rehydrate. Chris suggests ginger nuts. Also apprently if you have a cheese sandwich before you go out it puts a lining on your stomach and helps reduce the alcohol absorbtion rate. I find coke and a burger and chips usually helps!!
Chris also says stay sober - you can watch every one else and blackmail them with what they can't remember!!!
There's a book by Keith Floyd called Floyd on hang overs - surprise surprise!!!
Helen and Chris
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

What a sensible lot - not one person mentioned hair of the dog. :drunken: - rubbish one really just prolongs the experience. It was good for the Romans as I mentioned in the garlic article.
A documented Roman hangover cure includes 16 bulbs (not cloves) of garlic boiled in a bucket of wine, mmm lovely.
Water I would go along with sometimes I will mix sugar and salt in water and drink that for rehydration. Getting out of the house and going for a walk or digging on the allotment is also good if you can muster the energy it is better than doing what you feel like doing- sitting at hope holding your head and moaning
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Shirley

I'd definitely agree with the water, and the getting outdoors bit.... especially if it's a good cold day - just getting that fresh air into the lungs works wonders for me.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/