Bizarre work rules

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Bizarre work rules

My office is about to move to new premises & amongst the list of the dos & don'ts - do keep desks paperfree, don't walk with heavy footfalls - was the line 'plants are not allowed'.

I queried this, because of the proven efficacy of plants in cleaning air, & was told they can't be kept on desks as it makes it difficult for cleaners & can't be kept on windowsills as blinds will be there. No plants in floor standing containers will be provided/ allowed either.

I've only been in post for 2 months & am part-time in the lowliest of posts, so don't know what I can do to challenge this ridiculous ban. But challenge it I feel I must: there'll be a pc on every desk, printers at the end of every bank of desks & photocopiers on each floor. Windows are not to be opened, for security & so as not to compromise the air-conditioning. I don't want to be breathing in this air every day, even if I'm only there for 3hrs.

I've got a book that lists the benefits of particular plants & mentions those that are good near office equipment. I think I'll take a copy of that into the office & show it to the people that currently have plants on their desks...

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest, I feel better already.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do what i did...get co-workers to get you plants, and thehn say you've run out of room at home. I've got Heinrich the Herbaceous Border (a spearmint plant) and igor the laceleaf.

I constantly complain about the heat/cold and then ask to open windows.
unfortunately, air conditioning seems to be SO IMPORTANT to todays offices! Quite why, i can't work out either - it carries germs around, it doesn't allow you to breathe fresh air etc etc.

Can't you smuggle in some plants?

ooohooh, start off with a fake one...and then surreptitiously change it for a real one...

Did they say why there were to be no plants? Were they valid reasons? I've never known anyone allergic to Spider plants, but i imagine that there are some plants that people can react to, and i would think it fair to ban any plants with a strong smell to them, but a nice bit of leafy green-ness on the desk i can't see how thye can object! Its harmless! And, as you say, can clean the air, and also, according to something i read many many years ago, lower blood pressure and stress levels because they are relaxing to look at.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

I was told off today for having my radio playing gently (radio 2 - nowt rowdy!!) whilst on site. So I asked why (ok so I knew about the noise complaints issue, but I just wanted the (bloshy) foreman to tell me his version, being as how it was on a very low volume!!). After a few moments of gob smacked silence, he came up with the fact that if someone above dropped something and called out, the person below might not hear it and be hit by the offending object. In which case why don't they ban ear defenders, power tools, hammering, loud vehicles and dodgy singing joiners???
It highly amuses me that management come up with these rules which are so easily proven to be utter rubbish.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I'm sooooooo glad I don't work in an office. I tried it once and lasted for about six months. Now, when I'm balanced pricariously at the top of some ladders in the pouring rain, with a force ten getting up, water running down the back of my neck, my fingers numb and an icicle forming on my nose, I just remind myself about the mind numbing bureaucracy of office life, and suddenly I'm really pleased to be where I am.

So, no bizarre work rules, but a similar sort of thing happened the other day - I had ordered a couple of special thin sheets of MDF from the local timber yard. They arrived strapped together - for protection they were sandwiched betwen two sheets of special thin MDF.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Ranter
You should start a petition in your office. Plants are definitely good for you.

Zoe

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I worked in a high street clothes store (who shall remane nameless) we had meetings on "dressing fasionably" It was rediculous, there was one girl who turned up in a sweat pants and t shirt every day, it might have been because of that. Then we had meetings about "no headgear - including hair bands" I started wearing a scarf round my head, just to get to them :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

No hairbands?! That's ridiculous - i've got waist-length hair, there is NO WAY ON EARTH that i can wear it down each and every day!! Especially not to work, i end up typing with it!!

People pull, touch and play with long hair too, so i've always kept mine up to stop them!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

the.fee.fairy wrote:No hairbands?! That's ridiculous - i've got waist-length hair,
wow!

On the Dress code thing -

Our receptionist in the Melbourne office got a talking to for wearing a "Hooters" T-shirt. She is quite well endowed. :downtown:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I must admit I did once have to "have words" with a particularly pretty and well endowed young lady who worked for me at the time. She took to wearing very low cut dresses into the office.

Don't get me wrong, she looked great and it wasn't that I was jealous.

I just wanted the male members of staff to do some work occasionally :roll:

Zoe

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

the.fee.fairy wrote:No hairbands?! That's ridiculous - i've got waist-length hair
... which is now pink, purple and blue! :shock: Please oh please can we see a photo of you? :mrgreen:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

ooh...don't know. It mgiht not be what you're expecting!

I'll post pics after the BGG meetup - i'm going to take pics then. Except my hair will be in multicoloured plaits then... Hmm...

Boots

Just another example of patriarchal control... and am astounded to hear women buying into it.

"Back off buddy, I was born with these beautiful boobs! *enthusiastic shake*
...Unlike your attitude, which the flappers sorted back in the 1920's... Catch up, eh?"

*blows kiss...and turns to smacks right butt cheek*
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz