Bike fixed!!

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Bike fixed!!

Several years ago I bought a bike to go to work on because it was driving me mad having to take a 10 minute walk to catch a bus, then swap to a second bus which dropped me off another 10 minute walk away from where I worked - 3 miles from my home! Then the organization I worked for moved to new premises in the town centre, allowing me to catch a bus right outside my house, and get off right outside of work. Bliss - at first. By the time I left the the company I had never felt so unfit in my life. Just walking to the top of the street had me feeling out of breath and exhausted.

Anyway, over the last couple of years I've gradually got myself fairly fit again, and have refused to take the car to the allotment except on rare occasions when I've wanted to take something big or heavy. But the walk has started to frustrate me. On my own at a decent pace it takes 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back! So I mentioned to Richard that if my bike (which had since been used by DD1 for school, where the kids were constantly letting the tyres down and pulling the brakes off) was done up I could cut my journey down to 5 minutes each way, giving me an extra 20 minutes at the allotment. Do you know how much you can get done in 20 minutes?

Anyway, job done. He's got it all working and oiled up for me and I've been for a test ride around the park to get my balance and confidence back. :mrgreen:

Big hugs for him later :wink:

Oh, and in case any feminists out there wonder why I didn't do it myself, it's because I'm flippin' useless with things like that. Even when I know what needs doing and how to do it I'm just so ham-fisted. :dontknow:
Rosey xx

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Bike fixed!!

Well done

You should get a trailer for it so you can carry more stuff to and fro the allotment

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Great isn't it? I delivered my Christmas cards on Sunday on mine. Two miles in one direction then 4 miles off in the opposite direction and two miles back to my house. I couldn't believe how quickly I got it all done. It wouldn't hve been much quicker by car as I was able to cut through the cycle tracks.

Oh and don't worry about not doing these things yourself. I don't even repair my own punctures. I do ironing, he repairs tyres, each to the skills they are best at.

Cheers
Zoe

Rosendula

mamos wrote:
You should get a trailer for it so you can carry more stuff to and fro the allotment

mamos
:mrgreen: That's what I'm thinking. I've been keeping my eye on Freecycle and might put in a request for one. I'm also keeping my eyes peeled on eBay and such places for a cheap second-hand one. If I don't find one over the next few weeks, it'll go on my birthday list. TBH, I'd prefer a home-made one, but I can't see it happening. Still, you never know. In the meantime I'm going to get a basket for the front, so at least I'll be able to get my veg. peelings and tea bags there. :flower:
Thomzo wrote: Oh and don't worry about not doing these things yourself. I don't even repair my own punctures. I do ironing, he repairs tyres, each to the skills they are best at.

Cheers
Zoe
:lol: I don't iron, either :lol: :oops:
Rosey xx

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

i bought my bike 18 months ago, and i will admit i spent allot of money on it, but i have used it every day, other than when i have been ill, and i think that it is the best way to get around, money on bikes are well spent in my eyes.

jenko

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Another great investment that will pay for itself again and again is some bike specific tools and a good book on cycle maintenance.

I cycle everyday so my bikes take a bit of a bashing but it must be 10 years since i had to pay anyone to do work on any of them. Plus it gives you the confidence to cycle further afield if you know you can get yourself home should your bike break whilst out on the road.

I tend to get my tools and parts either from my local bike shop or from www.edinburghbicycle.com a cooperative bike shop

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Goldfang
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

As a dedicated cyclist in an area notorious for bike theft, I recently acquired out of a skip, a traditional three speed bike. It is abit rusty but mechanicaly sound, all I had to do was pump the tyres up! I use this for nipping up the corner shop/allotment and the town centre, working on the theory that it is too scruffy/uncool for anyone to nick! This leaves my expesive hybrid bike for cycling to work and weekend rides.
A good tip for anyone repairing/restoring bikes is to have a look in Wilkinsons, they carry quite a lot of bike parts/equipment mostly a lot cheaper than your local cycle shop. My biggest bugbear with bikes these days, particularly new ones is the poor build quality and quality of parts on even fairly expensive models. It is all very well to have super duper lightweight aluminium frames if the brakes and pedals are not up to scratch! A good place to look for second hand bikes is in the small ads in your local paper, a guy where I work got a Marin fire trail mountain bike (probably in the region of £1000 new) for 50 quid!
Happy cycling, regards Goldfang.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure about going to Wilco's instead of your local bike shop, I have found a vast difference between the two. Mostly in local bike shops you are given things for free, whether this be labour or parts or whatever. The bike coops and shops in out of the way smaller towns are the best!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging