Where to find cheaper train tickets

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where to find cheaper train tickets

The new find the cheapest fare on National rail enq site. It's certainly not foolproof, but it helped me find a cheap ticket to Brighton - £8 single from Bristol or £16 return instead of £65. The downside is that it only really tells you what operator sells what cheap ticket, you have to do the donkey work and actually find the ticket yourself.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Where to find cheaper train tickets

Good to know! My friend and I have just bought a friends and family rail card between us so rail fares are currently on the agenda! Thanks Andy
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Great thanks Andy - need a cheap one to get up north :wave:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

crowsashes

its a bit of hard work but ive found the cheapest way to get cheap train tickets is to buy lots of singles! i went to bristol just before xmas and a standard return was £65 per person ( from plymouth) so i brought a single from plym to exeter and one from exeter to bristol and it cost less than £15 for two adults there and £20 back ( the cheapest we could find and that includes using one student rail card)

forgot to add too we didnt have to change trains either as it was a cross country one

ive also noticed its alot cheaper for me to buy a friends and family rail card and start buying tickets for my son ( hes 2) than just buying one for myself :shock: one trip was £30 cheaper!

makes you wonder how they can do it !