Icers

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Icers

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HOBUO 4 December 2011 Icers

There is usually ice on sideways and parking lots in my area most of the Winter. When going outside, I use a special pair of boots with icers installed. Walking about five km every morning, I have never slipped, when wearing this type of studded device.
Note: There are about 30,000 emergency hospital visits each year in Canada due to people falling, mostly on icy streets. Most people never wear icers. You figure.

pelmetman

Re: Icers

You are obviously more geared up for bad weather in Canada than here in the UK :lol:

Although we did buy some snow chains last year for the van and you can get some spike effect thingies to go on your shoes here which I have thought about getting as the last few winters have been quite harsh. When out walking with Troy I could do with a bit more grip on the ice, its not nice going flat on ones backside :pale:

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Those icers look very effective. Might get something like that for myself this winter.

Just must not forget to take them off when you go inside somewhere, as they look like they'll provide a splendid grip on brand new wooden floors as well as ice...

Durgan

Jandra wrote:Those icers look very effective. Might get something like that for myself this winter.

Just must not forget to take them off when you go inside somewhere, as they look like they'll provide a splendid grip on brand new wooden floors as well as ice...
The studs don't damage wooden floors. I am not advocating wearing on wooden floors, but a gentle walk in an emergency across a wooden floor does no harm. I even wear the studded footwear in malls, since most parking lots are very dangerous being icy. One could also take a pair of slip on shoes. Taking the studs on and off is not too convenient. They must be very tight or they slip off when walking sometimes, and get lost because one is not conscientious when they slip off.

Even when the studs get flat they still give sufficient grip to prevent one from slipping. I walk 5 km every morning and a pair lasts me for the season.

Don't buy the spring type, since they slip on terrazzo floors and can be extremely adverse to your health. The only ones that work are the stud type.