menstrual cup

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

menstrual cup

anybody heard of this?

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/about-the-moon ... efits.html

its a reusable, eco- friendly cup that you put inside your vagina to catch the blood so you dont have to use any tampons/pads which end up in landfill, just like nappies, which is bad for the enviroment.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

demi

Re: menstrual cup

thats brilliant thanks!
i never realized they can hurt.
but after looking on youtube and reading the reviews on amazon iv gone ahead and ordered one. seems like it just takes a bit of getting used to.
hopfully this will be goodbye tampons forever! :)

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've been using one for well over a year now, never found them to hurt or be uncomfortable, i always take it with me when i'm going away for a weekend or the like so i never get caught out and i love the fact it cost £14 and has more than paid for itself.

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mrs Powell uses one. She swears by it. Not that I know much about these sorts of things being but a mere man!

demi

my mooncup arrived and i did a practice run and found it didnt hurt me at all.
was slightly uncomfertable taking it out but not more than takeing out a dry tampon.
im sure this will get better with practice.
iv also cut the tail completly off, it seems if you dont it may cause irritation problems.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

I'm getting one and my sister is too. I read a lot of the other thread and found out a fair amount about other peoples experiences and while that's always useful, on this particular topic, I think you just have to get one and see how it goes for yourself

nicola1968
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sorry I've just found this thread but I wanted to say that I have a mooncup and love it (as much as you can ....) I also use washable pads and really like the Wemoon brand. They come in lots of different thicknesses and wash really well. DH gets completely icked out but I've never really cared ..... ;)

Nik

Helsbells

I got one, its fab, or at least it was when I could use it, now I am preggers and will need to get the bigger size.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life

Can you use a diaphragm in the same was as a mooncup?

demi

Pumpkin&Piglet wrote:Can you use a diaphragm in the same was as a mooncup?
no

a diaphragm is for contraception. it sits right up inside your womb. it makes you're womb inhospitable for any fertalized egg to implant. it also relieses chemicals which kill the sperm. it doesnt stop the sperm from entering your womb.

the mooncup is a sillocone egg cup shaped cup which you insert inside your vagina, like a tampon, and it collects the menstral blood which you then take out, empty and re insert.

you cannot use your the mooncup as contraception either.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life

A diaphragm is a barrier method and so by definition should stop sperm entering the uterus - no?

I know you use spermicide gel with it to kill sperm but as far as I know it does not release anything further to inhibit the sperm.

I'm not trying to be irritating - I am looking at a diaphragm because it stops sperm as opposed to changing the lining of the uterus so if I'm wrong about this I need to re-think.

Health professionals I've spoken to - generally my GP seem to be a little unclear

demi

i was talkiing to my gp about this, and other contraception methods, recently after my baby was born. she told me the diaphragm sits completly inside the womb, it doest make a barrier, it just maskes you womb 'an inhospitable enviroment for a fertalized egg to implant' thus preventing pregnancy. she said it also relieses chemicals to kill any sperm that do make it up there.

iv decided not to use any invasive or medicated form of contraception as iv had problems on sevral occations in the past with never ending periods caused by hormonal contraception methods and i had problems concieving my latest baby as i wasnt ovulating properly. it completly messed up my cycles for years.
so i just want to give my body a brake and for it to go back to normal naturally.
not planning on having any more kids now, iv got 2 now, 1 girl and 1 boy.
my husband just doesnt come inside me and we use condoms when i think im ovulating.
although my periods are not yet back to normal after my baby was born. hes 7 months now and i had my first period on the 1st of december ( 7 weeks ago) and nothing since. im still breastfeeding too so that also can delay your periods returning.
i must atmit though, with no sign of my next period, the though of pregnancy is nibbling away at the back of my mind :shock:

IV JUST RELISED IM THINNKING OF THE COIL, NOT THE DIAPHRAGM!

sorry! :lol:

demi

also for the diaphragm, i doubt you could use it as a menstral cup.
its a different shape and is not designed to do used as a menstral cup.
you wouldnt be able to get it to sit in the right position.
the menstral cup sits just insode the opening of your vagina to collect the blood as its coming out. it makes a seal so nothing leaks out and its quite deep to collect a lot of blood.

take a look:
http://www.mooncup.com/

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life

I see what you mean, probably best I have one of each and keep them for the specific jobs!

We are in VERY similar situations on the whole baby front. My second son is 8 months now and I've only recently had periods again. I'm still breast feeding and although I was trying to decrease it he seems, if anything, to want to increase. He's very attached to my breasts! Lol

We use a similar method of contraception to you so the threat of pregnancy is real (and scary just at the moment) but I refuse to use hormonal contraception any more

demi

Pumpkin&Piglet wrote:I see what you mean, probably best I have one of each and keep them for the specific jobs!

We are in VERY similar situations on the whole baby front. My second son is 8 months now and I've only recently had periods again. I'm still breast feeding and although I was trying to decrease it he seems, if anything, to want to increase. He's very attached to my breasts! Lol

We use a similar method of contraception to you so the threat of pregnancy is real (and scary just at the moment) but I refuse to use hormonal contraception any more

i did a test just to make sure and its negative! thank god! :lol:

i wouldnt worry about decreasing your breastfeeding, just let your baby have as much as he wants.

i breastfed my daughter until she was 2 and 1/2. by that time i was just feeing her in the morning when she'd crawl into our bed and help heself while i was still alseep!
after she was about 1 and 1/2 people were allways like "are you STILL breastfeeding!" which made me reluctant to do it in public, but by that time it was down to just morning and night, and only during the day to settle her to sleep if she was upset for whatever reason.
i think she only had 2 or 3 minor colds during that whole time, even though id get colds she was getting my antibodys and rarly got any symptoms. until she started nursary and shes has a permanant cold since then!

im planning on feeding my son the same way.
although by this time i my daughter was sleeping though the night. iv tried a few times to get him to sleep all night but he just keeps waking up and no matter how long i leave him he doesnt go back to sleep without breastfeeding. so i guess hes just not ready yet so i still feed him every 3 hours during the night. i have found though that since hes started solid food he is hardly breastfeeding during the day, even though i offer it to him regularly. so i guess hes making up for it at night time.