Where can I buy online alternative type shampoo's?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Where can I buy online alternative type shampoo's?

Hi folks,just wondering if anyone can direct me to a good website (UK preferably)that sells products like Faith in Nature,maybe Jason or any other alternative brand shampoo's or soaps?What about dishwashing liquid?Bio D is a good one I use but the shop I brought it from stopped stocking it!Grrr Thanks in advance!

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where can I buy online alternative type shampoo's?

I usually go onto Ebay for my Faith in Nature products, there are a lot of sellers who do it postage free like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAITH-IN-NATU ... 3ccf97a7e2, but then I am a complete Ebay whore

ina

We used to get these things through SUMA.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

happyhippy

Thankyou for those,much appreciated!xx :cheers:

Amanda Hutchenson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I don't know if you have ever heard of LUSH, but I love it! I have never ordered anything online though, only shopped in the store. They have natural handmade beauty products, makeup, and yes shampoo and other cleansing products. I came across it because I was was having some skin problems. But I immediately fell in love. I am really fond of their body butters, facial creams, and bath bombs. Oh my gosh, the first time I used one of their bath bombs, I was shocked! I got out of the tub and my skin felt like I just put moisturizer on. And it stayed that was for 3-4 days. Seriously amazing.

The only downside is that some of the products need to stay in the fridge. But again, this is because they are all natural and natural stuff tends to go bad. So the products need to be used faster than other products on the market, but really....that just means that there aren't loads of chemicals and preservatives in it, which is in turn a good thing. That being said, I guess the refrigerated products can't really be ordered online. Hmmmm, you would have to see. I'm sure shampoo should be ok though. But other hair treatment stuff may need to be refrigerated.

Anyway, totally love this stuff. If it sounds like an option then check it out.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oxfam shops sell Bio D and Faith in Nature. Online you could try Nigels Eco Store or Ecotopia.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Serena S
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 34.0500° N
longitude: 118.2500° W
Facebook Name: Serena Steve

I have tried many natural shampoos like Giovanni, Burt's Bees, Bumble & Bumble, Shikai , Jason's, Alba, Kiss My Face...
but now I'm making my own natural shampoos at home and they are much better than these.
Here are some of the natural shampoo recipes that you can easily make in your home and these really work like magic for your hair problems.
1.Natural Hibiscus Shampoo
6 to 8 Hibiscus Leaves,3 to 4 Tulsi leaves,2 Hibiscus flowers,3 tbsp Green Gram Flour(Green whole Mung Daal Flour),1 tbsp Coconut Or Olive Oil, and 1 cup Water.

-Pluck Hibiscus leaves,Tulsi Leaves along with the Hibiscus Flowers.If it’s not grown in your house. You can problem buy it from the market.
-Now add the Green Gram Flour in it.Grind them into a paste with water.
-Once the liquid is loose and a bit frothy your shampoo is ready.Just add 1 tbsp Hair Oil and mix well.
-Ensure you use this shampoo fresh. Please don’t refrigerate this Natural Hibiscus Shampoo.Use it immediately after making.
-Rinse hair and apply this natural shampoo. Just the way you use your other shampoos. Be gentle don’t scrub your hair with a lot of force.Leave it for 5 mins. Now wash this with water.
-Pat your head gently with towel. Once your hair is dried. Comb it gently.
-On Regular use you will notice shiny black hair naturally.
-Use this Natural/Homemade Hibiscus Shampoo once in a week for optimum results. If you want to know what makes hair grow faster, just try these natural shampoos and see the magic.
*2. Aztec secret indian healing clay(Bentonite Clay)
There is no additives,no fragrances,no animal testing,and no animal products. It can be purchase at whole foods or amazon no more then $10 for 2 pounds or 1 pounds for like $6.I mix it with water and apply to my scalp and hair let it sit for 30 minutes the rinse.I liked this product but I do know someone who didn't like using it in her hair but loved it for her face and body.

*3.Egg yolk
Simply wash hair using 1-2 egg yolks and rinse with vinegar.

*4.Borax and Citric Acid
For Shampoo -In a gallon jug, add one inch of borax and fill with filtered water. Shake well before using, as the borax will settle. This mix keeps indefinitely.

For Rinse-In one quart of water, add 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid and shake well. This does not keep well, so only make enough for each use. Dr. Clark, author of The Cure for All Diseases , states that only citric acid will remove borax from the hair and skin

How to Use-Wet hair, pour on some borax mix and wash. It is odd at first use, but it feels like it is soapy when washing. Pour on the citric acid rinse and flush through hair. Dr. Clark recommends allowing it to run down body for the ph benefit.

*5.Dry shampoos

1.Ground grains-Corn meal,ground oatmeal,semolina flour,cornstarch, and talcum powder(harmful if inhaled)
2.Orris root powder-very fine, may be difficult to remove from hair completely
3.Large grain salt
4.Dry clay
5.Baking soda

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

That sounds like a lot of effort for just washing hair!
I went "no 'poo" for a while but found no matter what I tried my scalp suffered - almost felt like cradle cap. Bicarb (baking soda) cleaned my hair beautifully but also made it very brittle so eventually I gave up and now use the least noxious shampoo I can find and only wash it once a week. And I use vinegar instead of conditioner.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I slather my head in goose fat and then lie down and let the dog lick it off, keeps the dog quiet for a good hour and leaves your hair clean and glossy

ina

diggernotdreamer wrote:I slather my head in goose fat and then lie down and let the dog lick it off, keeps the dog quiet for a good hour and leaves your hair clean and glossy

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ina

happyhippy

Err don't think I'll be trying the goosefat and dog idea for a while lol lol Thanks for the suggestions,much appreciated.x

JDiana
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

So any luck with finding a proper shampoo? Think eBay is still the only decent option here. I haven't heard about Faith in Nature, but now I'm definitely interested to test it. Currently, I'm using SheaMoisture Mango for kids which I read about in this article. Don't blame me, I love using products for children because they seem to have less harmless chemicals and usually have a soft pleasant smell.

Flo

Faith in Nature makes all its products in the UK using natural ingredients. It ticks so many boxes for me. You can also buy Suma own brand which ticks most of the same boxes if you want to shop online.

ina

There's been a lot of talk about plastic-free shampoos - i.e. shampoo bars. Getting them is the problem! I have bought one in a health food shop - not tried it yet, some bottles to finish. I saw another one at a very high price somewhere; but most shops don't seem to stock any at all. I don't like buying online unless absolutely necessary. And I seem to remember flush sell some - but you won't ever get me in one of their shops - their stink (sorry: scent) is unbearable!
Ina

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Good luck with your shampoo bar ina. I know a lot of folks use them but I never found one that I could actually rinse out properly. I always ended up with a haystack instead of a hairdo. :lol: I don't know if it's because I used too much, have particularly thick hair or the brands I tried (including my own Green Aura brand a few years back) were just cr4p. I stopped making it as soon as I realised I had to sell it with how to rinse out instructions!

If you have a similar problem, the best way to wash it out is to use a vinegar rinse - 1 tsp vinegar in 1l warm water - although even that is not always successful. Although as they've even started selling vinegar in plastic bottles, you can't really win. :banghead:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin