How to use a toothstick a.k.a. Miswak / Sewak

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
JT101
Tom Good
Tom Good

How to use a toothstick a.k.a. Miswak / Sewak

Hi everyone

I'm sure many of you have come across this before. An alternative to plastic toothbrushes, and probably still today the most commonly used tooth cleaning device on the planet

But having started with some hazel sticks, I had some questions for anyone with experience of this.

Firstly, how did/do indigenous people keep their toothsticks. I presume they just take a stick from a tree as they need it, but living in London, I have to take a few sticks and keep them stored. Problem is they start to dry out and go hard. I've put them in an airtight jar, and will see how that goes but I've read that other toothsticks sweat, so mabe these will do the same.

Also, what woods / roots that I could grow in the UK do not disintegrate as you use it? Hazel tends to do it. I haven't tried any others, but I've got some licorice root on order, and may try some others.

Thanks

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: How to use a toothstick a.k.a. Miswak / Sewak

The other option would be to powder the sticks and use them on a regular toothbrush. I've got Miswak powder from Turkey (I know not the best option but I wanted to try it out) that I add to my to my homemade tooth powder.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Serena S
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 34.0500° N
longitude: 118.2500° W
Facebook Name: Serena Steve

Re: How to use a toothstick a.k.a. Miswak / Sewak

Try to cover it with cellophane to keep it fresh. I used it and found it better than toothbrushes. Peelu and Olive Miswaks are the best ones for your teeth. Try them If you can easily get them.