article on scouring (washing) fleece

Post your articles or photos here for possible inclusion on the main site. Please read the guidelines before posting.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

article on scouring (washing) fleece

a few of us do this, and we all have different ways, - and the subject comes up fairly often. anyone interesting in taking part in writing an article for the main ish website on how to scour a fleece?
I thought maybe we could each write how we do it, include pictures etc?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: article on scouring (washing) fleece

Good plan red :hugish:

I'm just scouring a fleece - I shall take photo's as I go
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

red contacted me regarding this and I am in..........happy to help with my 7 years experience ....
give me a few days.

berti

red

yay! well lets just each write what we do, here, inc pictures, then we can mash it around until it looks right and then submit for the site. have to warn you though... I am the queen of typos...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Great idea folks, but could you get cracking - I bought a fleece just before christmas and have no idea where to start with it. Is that good timing or what? :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

red

Green Aura wrote:Great idea folks, but could you get cracking - I bought a fleece just before christmas and have no idea where to start with it. Is that good timing or what? :lol:
excellent!

there are differing opinions on where to store you fleece before you wash it,. but I was told to wrap in something breathable like an old sheet, and stash somewhere dry.. like the garden shed. we did and they survived fine. so thats a starter for ten!
Red

etsy shop

blog

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Nod Nod - paper sack or pillow case

my main problem is how much to throw, mine have mostly been full unskirted fleeces and while some is obviously 'gash' for the compost heap other bits I'm not sure whether to keep or not
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

red

our own fleeces from our own sheep - we have pulled off all the dungy bits before rolling up.. so throw little out after that

we were given a brown fleece.. in a bin bag.. poo an all.. reaked!! but again. anything really pooey to the compost heap... got some nice yarn out of that eventually
Red

etsy shop

blog

red

ok so a start:

Method 1: by Red
you will need:
a washing up bowl
washing soda crystals
washing up liquid
hot water

The method I use is to only work on a small part of fleece at a time, the advantage being that it's not so daunting and you can keep the rest of the fleece 'in the grease', in your shed!

When you first get your fleece, it needs to be 'skirted' - this will often be done by the farmer, but if you are the farmer .. then it's up to you. Lay the fleece out and remove a few inches all the way around, and probably more around the tail end, depending on how mucky the fleece is. Remove any other mucky or stained parts, then wrap up in an old sheet or duvet cover and store somewhere cool and dry, until you are ready to scour.

Start by gently tearing off a piece of fleece about the same size as your washing up bowl. Sit down and go over it, picking out debris and particularly pooey bits of wool, you can put these disgarded pieces on the compost heap.

Now fill up the washing up bowl with water just as hot as you can stand to put your hands into, then shake in about a few tablespoons of the washing soda and a squirt of washing up liquid. Gently immerse the fleece into the water. At this point the water will go pretty murky - thats the lanolin rushing out. NB, if you are allergic to lanolin, you should be wearing gloves, but to be honest, if you have a problem with lanolin, working will wool might not be for you.

To wash wool you need soap and hot water, to felt wool you need soap hot water and agitation.. so the key is not to move it around much at all. Gently push the fleece with your fingertips, and squeeze it - but very very carefully. You can very gently work on a muddy lock with your fingers, but gently gently. Did I mention being gentle?

Next lift the fleece out of the water (don't pour the water off the fleece, any grit and dirt you washed off will just collect on the fleece again), rinse your bowl and refill with just hot water, the same temperature as the first time.

Gently immerse the fleece again, then lift out again. If it's a particularly dirty fleece you might have to repeat the washing and rinsing steps again, but generally I don't have to.
now you need to dry the fleece - and best to get as much water out now as possible - I tie it up in an old pillowcase, quite closely, and use the spin only cycle of my washing machine. then the fleece is laid on a rack - ours are an old caravan drying rack, and an arrangement made out of an old picnic table and some fridge shelves. We dry ours near a radiator in winter, or outside in summer.

Once it is completely dry, bag it up in ziplock bags or sealable boxes, to keep it away from moths. now it is ready for carding and spinning!
Red

etsy shop

blog

red

I'll do some pictures to go with it...
Red

etsy shop

blog

red

some pictures

before:
unwashed fleece.JPG
unwashed fleece.JPG (338.58 KiB) Viewed 17873 times
during
washingfleece.JPG
washingfleece.JPG (174.57 KiB) Viewed 17875 times
and after:
cleanfleece.JPG
cleanfleece.JPG (177.14 KiB) Viewed 17872 times
Red

etsy shop

blog

witch way
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I don't wash mine until they're skiened - I'm not sure if that's how you spell it.

I bought about 70 fleece from e-bay and am storing them in the caravan. I take off the pooey bits and put them in the compost. Then the rougher bits get felted to make insulation for the bee hives and worm bins. The next nicest bits I'm using to pegloom matted insulation for the conservatory roof and the really nice bits get put aside for spinning.

I spin the yarn with the lanolin on (I reckon a girl needs all the moisturising she can get) then skien the wool and twist it and wash it in a pillowcase in the washing machine on a 30 wash. Then take it out and add acrylic yarn if its for socks or just knit it up for anything else.

I'm still quite new to messing about with fleeces but would've thought there would be fewer problems with accidental felting once the item is made up?

ww.

red

70 fleeces? that will keep you busy for a while! yes.. guess the article shoudl mention some people prefer to spin in the grease.
Red

etsy shop

blog

becks77

This is fantastic info am just scouring my first ever fleece and its coming up really well
Thank you :thumbleft:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

red

becks77 wrote:This is fantastic info am just scouring my first ever fleece and its coming up really well
Thank you :thumbleft:
excellent :flower: - what are your plans for the fleece?
Red

etsy shop

blog