use a cut throat razor

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

use a cut throat razor

Ok, as some of you know I'm a prepper and a parnoid android especially around TEOTWAWKI.

So there will be a lot of bearded men wandering around or those who use a cut throat razor. I've found one in my nana's gear so it [ I assume] must be mt grandads and as he died in 1960 i can't ask him. It is still relativly sharp but it's bloody painfull the way i tried to use it ao does anyone on here use a cut throat razor for shaving ??
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Re: use a cut throat razor

Hey Big Al

There are quite a few video clips on the subject on youtube, here is one link to get you started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN5gmdwATY4

cheers Homegrown
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

my husband uses one, its his granfathers too, but i dont use it as it cuts my legs to shredds and gives me a rash :(

guess thats not really much help to you though, sorry :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

gregorach

Big Al wrote:Ok, as some of you know I'm a prepper and a parnoid android especially around TEOTWAWKI.

So there will be a lot of bearded men wandering around or those who use a cut throat razor. I've found one in my nana's gear so it [ I assume] must be mt grandads and as he died in 1960 i can't ask him. It is still relativly sharp but it's bloody painfull the way i tried to use it ao does anyone on here use a cut throat razor for shaving ??
"Relatively" sharp isn't going to do the job. A razor needs to be, well, razor sharp. It should glide through the stubble as if it's not there, or it isn't sharp enough.

How are you prepping? Hot flannel, pre-shave oil, proper shaving soap? Or are you using that nasty goop in a can?
Cheers

Dunc

Carltonian Man

When you’re shaving with it Al, if someone speaks to you, DO NOT turn your head to look at them..... :shock: :pale: :lol: :lol:

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

I used one years ago. There is a knack to it. Not recommended if you have the shakes.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

Big Al

Thanks for the replies. All are welcome and usefull.
I reckon it is going to be a case of buying a lot of razor blades or acepting that I look incredibly sexy in a beard!!

Bill 1953, I shake like a turkey at christmas,

Carltonian Man, I have already tried the head turning trick, thankfully it was the wife who turned her head....

gregorach, I was going to try pressing my finger on the blade to see if it was razor sharp but decided not to in the end. I've always used king of shaves oil and propper shaving soap in a mug.
Demi and homegrown, thank you also.

Take care,

SFB.... Al.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

gregorach

Well, if it's tugging at all, it's not razor sharp. Have you got a strop and some stropping paste?

Alternatively, DE razor blades are cheap as chips, you could stockpile a lifetime's supply.
Cheers

Dunc

Big Al

Not got any "kit" as yet but I think I'll perservere with this one. I watched a few of the shave nation .com vids and it got me infected, I mean enthused.

Thanks one and all once again.
Secret Asparagus binger

gregorach

That'll be your problem then. Even a realy well-maintained blade needs regular stropping, ideally before every use. If this blade has been unused for a long time, it will probably have lost its edge to the moisture in the air... I'd expect you'll need to put a new edge on it to get it really right, starting with a fine hone and then moving through a couple of grades of stropping paste.
Cheers

Dunc