process aloe vera..

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

process aloe vera..

anyone made their own products direct from the live plants?
any tips, especially as to what NOT to do.

There is loads info out there on the web, but always nicer to get advice from "friends & neighbours" rather than strangers, especially as many of the sites , are really commercial ones anyway.

I ahve several plants in the garden, and obviously there are 100´s more available growing wild locally that i could forage

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: process aloe vera..

i just cut off a leaf and use as is. the most i do is put a leaf in the fridge to wipe on bites as it's more soothing that way ...and also for burns its very good.
btw, are they frost hardy or are you in a mild region?

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

If using externally, you can either break off a leaf and dab it on straight, or whiz it in a non-food blender.

For using internally, carefully slit open the leaf and gently scrape the clear pulp. Take care not to scrape into the green part, as that can act as a rather strong laxative.

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

what are benefits for internal use? tastes disgusting, i know that much

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

internally taken is supposed to help with inflammation, arthritis , constipation ( as mentioned above), boost immune system etc etc......
there´s no concrete proof to these reported benefits, but I did take it regularly 2 or 3 years ago, and it was great, but it´s just too expensive to keep buying on regular basis, whicjhh is when you get benefits. helps with weigght loss too.
there are loads of mentioned benefits all over web ( and warnings against), but it did help me !

the plants will withstand quite low temps, BUT.... they mostly died off last winter as we had 8 or 9 nights consecutively with very low ( for here ) temps.between -5 & -10ºc, which is unusual. ( am up in mountains about 900 m). we do get such low temps most years, but usually just 1 or 2 nights at most, or maybe a couple of times, but not a long period of cold.

many plants in wild died off which they hadnt before either, well died off is incorrect, as the plants are still good, just many of leaves killed off by cold

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

surprising that it survives quite chilly weather, but i don't think it would here. still, it's my favourite house plant being beautiful, pretty unkillable, and useful too.

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Keep them in semi shade too if you live in hot climes, they don't like full on hot sun