Dig in green manure?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Dig in green manure?

I know this sounds like a daft question, and it probably is, but please bear with me.

I have vetch growing wild in my garden and I know this is sometimes used as green manure, so I'm considering spreading the seeds about and letting it grow a bit. My question is, what next? I've recently been digging it out to make way for potatoes, and there's a mass of tough roots to get through. Do I have to chop these up - if not, they're going to get in the way - and does that involve a lot of chopped worms? I've seen advice to just hoe it off, but I really can't believe that's going to work - it'll just grow back. Come to think of it, wouldn't chopped roots grow new plants too, like bindweed?

Am I missing something, or do I have the wrong kind of vetch?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dig in green manure?

I think you have the wrong kind of vetches, I suspect you have common vetch or wild pea which is a bit more thuggish. You can buy tares or vetches as a green manure which are a lot more manageable and can be sown in autumn for overwintering. I don't do digging, so I just pull it up and leave it on the surface, usually I would put paper on top and put a mulch on that to, then it can be planted into with transplants

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: Dig in green manure?

Thanks for that. The vetch I have is certainly thuggish! I won't try using that for green manure, then.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/