Ferret keepers

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
thejanine
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ferret keepers

Anyone here keep ferrets as pets and/or to hunt rabbits?

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Ferret keepers

No,as up to recently I've always kept a lot of poultry and I wouldn't want them escaping,but quite a few friends have them,and I've been ferreting with them on many,many occasions,especially when the Patterdale was younger.The local farmers are usually glad to have us,when their rabbit numbers get out of hand.

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Always hunted rabbits, as far as i'm concerned a totally under estimated meat, one of my favourite dinners is rabbit in breadcrumbs with new tatties and peas :thumbright: :flower: :flower: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

GrowingVeg
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Apart from a .22LR rifle the humble ferret is the best form of rabbit control and by far the most enjoyable. Love the little fellas.

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

i would love to keepa few as pets and for hunting but ,my landlord (parents) wont let me keep any pets which is a sod.

they are lovable mental little freaks with more personality than most people i run into.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Hunting never but my daughter had two. One sadly passed away from old age. They make brilliant pets if you buy from the right breeder. Get on well with cats and nice dogs, but never ever mix them with rodents no matter how big. Anything with chisel shaped front teeth is lunch to a ferret!
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

HOMER
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

old tree man wrote:Always hunted rabbits, as far as i'm concerned a totally under estimated meat, one of my favourite dinners is rabbit in breadcrumbs with new tatties and peas :thumbright: :flower: :flower: :flower:

I agree with that,
Rabbit and Pigeon and too very tasty and very under used meats,

Pigeon use to be called many years ago Poor mans steak. Its a lovey dark meat.

Rabbit I have always found to be very a lean meat, That takes on the flavor of what ever else your cooking it with very well, So its good for curry's and stew and things like that.