How far can a dog walk?

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: How far can a dog walk?

Yes, that's bonkers. I wouldn't swap you! :)

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Old thread but I will pick it up from our working dog and feral dog perspective. Our working cattle dogs (Heelers) are more than capable of following a herd for 10-15 miles with added running bursts to keep the cattle in order. A couple of years ago a friend in the high country lost a black Kelpie female while mustering sheep in bush - she covered about 25 miles between late afternoon and morning when he found her on his doorstep. Radio callaring of wild dogs recently has shown that, in some cases, the dogs will travel continuously for weeks with one doing a 900Km round trip in 15 days. However, all these dogs are evolved (selected) to be able to do this.

I think the answer to the original question is "how long is a piece of string"?
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

LuckyST
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I think that depends on the dog's breed. Some might say that small breeds aren't suitable for long walks but that's wrong. Surprisingly but bigger dogs are more susceptible to have joint issues. That's why you need to consult some good vet so he could advise the best joint supplements for dogs, asking a dog trainer about your dog's limits is a good idea too.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I agree; the modern "pet" canine is an extremely modified species, most of the "dog" has been bred out of them to make them suit our lifestyles. The exceptions being the true working and hunting dogs thaat have been largely bred to retain the true dog traits evolved for long distance travel and hunting (including herding). These dogs really don't reach full growth and mental maturity (no longer having puppy behaviours) until 2-3 years old. Here one can comonly find show strains of kelpies, border collies, blues, terriers etc. that do not have the bone, muscle or stamina to work a day.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight