Google Ads

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

Google Ads

I've had a bit of a "go" at googleads in other threads, but it's a subject that's come up, so I reckon it needs dealing with in a thread of it's own! :wink:
I fully understand the need for a site like this to pay for hosting bills, so it's entirely reasonable for the site to carry paid advertising of some sort, BUT I find it particularly annoying that the Google system chucks ads up at the top of the page, over which the site owner has no control! I've just clicked on one of the ads, and found myself on the site of one of the solar hot water companies that features heavily on TV.....in programmes such as "Rogue Traders"..... :?
Does a reputable site need to sell it's soul to dodgy commerce this way? There are several independent banner schemes whereby you keep full control of which firms you "plug"......... :cooldude:
It's now reached the state where googleads on a site say "cheap, nasty and money-grabbing, likely a total spam site."........they are visible in profusion on many total spam sites, and to my mind are best totally avoided! (by reputable sites) :wink:
Discuss! :dave:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well we banned T***o ads from appearing and we can ban any other company that for whatever reason we don't like. If there are companies that have been on Rouge traders then I think we and perhaps google too need to know so we can ban their ads too.

We have said on the front page that we can advertise ethical companies and only got 2 responses. That I am afraid is not enough to pay for the hosting bills. Eco-logic books have been ok, but you don't get much from affliates unless you really plug it, pays for a few books now and then though.

I looked into other companies that did ads on keywords and they did not discriminate any advertiser this means c a si no sites and p or n sites would pop up and that would be 10 000 worse. Other independent advertising companies? Well thats an idea, who are they then???
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Martin

what I meant was to have your "own" banner rotation scheme - then you can flog companies space on the site, and choose the ones you want! :cooldude:
I'm sure that with a bit of effort, loads of posters on the site would like a good "vehicle" like SSF on which to advertise their companies/services! :dave:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Martin wrote:what I meant was to have your "own" banner rotation scheme - then you can flog companies space on the site, and choose the ones you want! :cooldude:
I'm sure that with a bit of effort, loads of posters on the site would like a good "vehicle" like SSF on which to advertise their companies/services! :dave:

Well after offering it there does not seem to be many mate. That would certainly be my prefered option, would not know where to start with a rotational banner thinging though.
and...... Twitter

Martin

well, you could start here - http://www.openads.org/ - which organises the banners, and fires them onto the net - all you need is some nifty code in your headers and footers, and away you go! :wink:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

cool would still need some advertisers though.
and...... Twitter

Martin

it's fairly petrifying on first acquaintance, but is actually a simple idea.......you flog companies a number of "clicks" at say 20p a click on their banner, so every time someone clicks on it, it's cost the company 20p! (ker-ching!) the"phpads" programme picks up the request from the banner, and keeps the records - usually people will buy a ''block" of "clicks" - say £20-worth, and when their credit has run out, no more banners! You'd usually have several banners "in rotation" so people don't get bored looking at the same one all the time. "phpads" also sends the correct banners out to your (or other sites) :dave:
So you then need some nice boarder who's good at such things to bung the code into the board header and footer so the ads display! (no, I'm not angling for that job- javascript is not my forte!) :geek:
You could even work up a nice little sideline, providing an ethical banners service for other sites................ :wink:

Martin

not that hard! - you can put us down for the first £20- worth :wink:
I'll happily mention it to other people in the renewables community too!
What would be a nice touch is to chuck in a few "freebies" too - for pet causes - FOE, Greenpeace, that sort of thing......... :dave:

red

tbh I never look at the ads at the top - and I think its clear that ads by google - as it says, means its not under control by SSish. so would anyone really think it was a recomendation?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Martin

"guilt by association"? :mrgreen:

red

is this more about you not liking them?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

red wrote:tbh I never look at the ads at the top - and I think its clear that ads by google - as it says, means its not under control by SSish. so would anyone really think it was a recomendation?
I don't even notice them as they are outside of the SSish 'page' that I am looking at.

Martin

It's simple really, I like this site a lot, and yes I am prejudiced against Googleads - you do not control who is advertising "off the back" of your site, and you may well be giving some well dodgy companies a plug......... :?
There are also a LOT scam sites about using Googleads - and nowadays I find the sight of Googleads is a warning "possibly a spam/scam site"........
(a bit like dispaying p-o-r-n site banners!) :mrgreen:
didn't someone once say "like a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a good friend" :mrgreen:

red

Martin wrote:- and nowadays I find the sight of Googleads is a warning "possibly a spam/scam site"........
do you? I dont. you have to be realistic - a site this big and this popular has to be funded in some way, even though the forums are run by volunteers, there are still costs.. now by seeing the ads - I know how it is done. very upfront.
if there were no ads.. I would be wondering if there were forces behind the scenes influencing what was posted, what was on the main site..etc. so I feel the opposite to you - the ads make it more acceptable.

and if you are going to take the 'guilt by association route' - which as you know is daft on a forum of all places, then the site owners (Andy and Dave) would have to consider removing all webpage links by forum members that advertise businesses.

personally I think this is far from necessary.. as there is nothing wrong with things as they are.
Red

etsy shop

blog

Martin

I think you're missing my point........I KNOW they need income from advertising, there is nothing dreadful about having an upfront banner advert - what I am suggesting is that they could do it themelves, retain total control of the companies who advertise, and ultimately make MORE money.........because Google isn't taking it's cut! :mrgreen:
As a result of this thread, I actually downloaded a copy of the open-source adserver, fired up a database for it, and I've been having a twiddle.............
it is fiendishly complex to get to grips with, but I've managed to get it supplying a "causes" banner on a website I'm just finishing off -
bottom of the page - here - http://c-zero.co.uk/news.php - before you ask, this site will NOT be featuring googleads, or any paid ads whatsoever, but it is nice to give pet causes a plug! :wink: