Reusable nappies need help

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Reusable nappies need help

We are switching over now we have
1. a dryer
2. a toddler who refuses to poo in a nappy.

We've got a load of Terries and plastic pants plus 3 shaped ones; one home made two bought cheap from sainsburys...
BUT
the shaped ones are not working out too well. they keep leaking. Should I switch to the terries at night or is there anything i can do to the pre-shaped ones to make them fit her better or be more absorbant?

ta!!!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I'd use the terries at night (folded kite style) if thats still possible (do they still do nappy pins? or did the safety Elf steal them?) Shaped ones always seem a bit thin
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

shae
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Are the shaped ones you mentioned like and All In One (waterproof outer, absorbent middle, then flannel or fleece next to babys skin)? Firstly I'd look to see if the legs are fitting securely when done up. Generally All In Ones (AIO's) aren't really suitable for night time, because they simply aren't absorbent enough - esp for the amount a toddler wees!
In the short term you could use the terry flat with a cover, but modern cloth nappies are so easy to make and perhaps a pocket style nappy would be more suitable. They have a waterproof outer, then a fleece inner with an opening left to stuff absorbent fabrics between the 2 layers, then you can customise how much absorbency you need. That way you can use the terry flats to stuff in the pockets later or resew them into boosters.

mrsflibble

thanks guys. I'll stick to the terries at night I reckon, soph seems happy enough in them and I like folding them lol!!

mrsflibble

oh, and yes you can still buy nappy pins. and the plastic over-pants.

it's been interesting trying to teach my other half how to use them lol!

Clara

I can recommend these http://www.babykind.co.uk/huggles.htm if you have the budget to buy anymore. I have line dried them.....though I suspect a dryer might be more efficient in essex!
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sorry to hear that cloth nappies are being tricky. I am a nappy advisor so I might be able to help! First, please tell me what sahped nappies and wraps you are using? Are they a 2 part system (nappy and wrap seperate) or all in one (nappy and wrap joined together)? You didn't say whether you were having poo leaks or wee leaks? The brand of the wrap and nappy makes a difference, if you give me more info I will try to help!

A few general tips;

Ensure the cloth nappy is not sticking out from under the wrap

Do not use fabric conditioner as this coats the fabric and makes them absorb less moisture

Pre wash the nappies several times to get them to maximum absorbancy.

Change nappies every 2-4 hours, depending on how much your baby wees!
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

Growing Mama
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Check out this helpful site www.thenappynetwork.org.nz it contains a forum as well with plenty of reviews for the various nappys. I use pockets over night with either a knitted soaker or a funky bumz cover.
Mum to two gorgeous kids
Lily (3) the Princess & Jack (17mths) the non walking climber!

shae

Hi Growing Mama! :cooldude:

Growing Mama
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

shae wrote:Hi Growing Mama! :cooldude:

Hello there, thought it might be you!!!
Small world this internet isn't it!!
Mum to two gorgeous kids
Lily (3) the Princess & Jack (17mths) the non walking climber!

mrsflibble

Barefootlinzi:
I havepm'd you, but thought I'd stick my reply (sort of) on here for others to see too.
Ensure the cloth nappy is not sticking out from under the wrap have done. Switched to traditional terries and plastic outer pants instead of the all-in-ones.

Do not use fabric conditioner as this coats the fabric and makes them absorb less moisture already knew that ta lol!

Pre wash the nappies several times to get them to maximum absorbancy. the terries we use are from my mum, they've already been through both my brothers and my little sister. That's about 7 years of continuous use before being packaged up and put in the loft for safekeeping until the next time they were needed; 8 years later. they got washed before being put away, and another time before being used again. Let's just say my mum's got good use out of her investment!!!

Change nappies every 2-4 hours, depending on how much your baby wees! ah. night time is the problem. And we stopped with the shaped nappies in favour of terries, but we need to find plastic wraps that 1. don't cause sores around her little thighs; Mothercare plastic pants do this and it's horrible for her, and 2. need to find ones that don't cause wicking and therefore leak. Boots plastic pants are cloth-coated around the leg holes and belly hole but although we don't get the sores, we are getting severe wicking and a wet, upset toddler at 11pm, 3am and her usual morning wake-up time.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I just LOVE terry nappies that have been used on many kids; they must be the most eco friendly nappies of all, and when they are threadbare you can still use them as rags/hand towels/sick cloths/for drying the dog!!! Pampers just doesnt compare!!

I have replied to your PM!

Linzi
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

I don't really like the plastic pants you can get in Boots Mothercare at all - the elastic on the legs always seems way too tight. We use a mixture here of Motherease nappies & Motherease wraps - these last longest without leaks - and also pre-folds (a lot like terries) with velcro fastening shaped wraps. Bambino Mio were the system we started with when Ash was tiny but they are a bit expensive so we got some wraps & pre-folds from Ebay which are just the same. I think this info is probably well out of date for you now MrsFlibble (clever Soph! :mrgreen: ) but just in case other people read this too.

:flower: Ratty
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

mrsflibble

it's not out of date at all, she's dry in the day but still nappied at night.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hiya (I'm new)

I have a BIG heavy wetter at night she was breastfed still is on one feed at 1yr and the thing that saved us was bamboo!! These are a godsend http://www.babykind.co.uk/pocketnappyin ... mbooinsert Scroll down to Super bamboo inserts get the long ones. No matter what nappy your are using these are a must have you can boost any type of nappy with them if you can't get them inside the nappy put them between the nappy and the wrap. I even use them in pocket nappies. They are great for night making your day nappies into a night nappy or to give you longer between changes if you are traveling. They do take a little longer to dry as they absorb more liquid. HTH