Electric ATV

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Electric ATV

Thinking positively here, planning for when we get resource consent to build :wink:

Anyone had any experience with electric battery-powered ATV's? Seem like a good idea, we could build it it's own shed, with it's own solar panel, and have it ready to rock'n'roll at any time.

Thoughts anyone? Seems like such a good idea, maybe there's something I havn't thought of, or everyone would use them.

glenniedragon
A selfsufficientish Regular

ATV

ATV- does it mean All Terrain Vehicle? sorry to let my ignorance show... if it does mean all terrain vehicle that would be cool!

kind thoughts
Deb

ina

It does mean that. But why not have the ultimate ATV - very good in hilly areas, doesn't need electricity at all, definitely four wheel drive - ergh, sorry, four leg drive... Yep, I'm talking about a hill pony! It needs a shed, too, and you can still have the solar panels for lighting.

(Alright, you still need an ATV to make the hay, then... :mrgreen: )
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Solar PanelS - plural, Magpie! You will need a few unless you only want to use your vehicle once a week. Are you thinking a golf cart sort of thing?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

More like this Nev - http://www.zapworld.com/products/ATZHD_ATV.asp

My OH's first thought was golf carts though, and to my credit , I think, I didn't laugh. :geek: These do look rather cooler though! As I said, they do seem so logical, but no-one seems to use them, so I wonder if there is somehting about them that I haven't thought of.

Ina, I would love a pony, but the OH is allergic to them... do you think one who is allergic to horses would be allergic to donkeys too?

ina

No idea - would have to be tested, I suppose. What a shame, though...
Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks really cool, mate!

Gotta be careful though, a lot of cockies over here kill themselves on the petrol versions!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shirley

yeah they can be dangerous!

Cockies Nev?? you mean youths??? daredevils?

My son would LOVE one of these but he'll just have to wait until he's older.

They would be fantastic on the farms though. I'd love one too.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry Shirlz,

Aussie slang cockie = farmer

Nev

ina

They are probably not quite powerful enough for ordinary farm work - ours are a bit faster, and they are sometimes used for more than the 30 miles this one can do. And you'd have to put them on charge every night.

I believe there is a diesel version that's supposed to be more environment friendly - maybe you could run that off old cooking oil, too. And whatever the fuel, they are not toys. There was a fatal accident near here not long ago - not a farm vehicle, but somebody racing along the road. Should always be used with a helmet on (but that's not COOL, is it :roll: ?), you must never take a passenger (unless you have one of the rare versions that are specially designed for taking passengers), and you must make sure your trailer isn't overloaded, which happens sooner than you think. Lots of accidents happen on farms, too. Lots of kids involved. Oh, and you should keep your bum on the seat when you are driving - which again just isn't cool enough for your average male young(ish) farm worker. Why is it that my younger male colleagues always ride standing up? It's so easy to lose your grip on it if you hit a large stone or a pothole - and show me the farm that isn't full of them! (I should know - tripped over a stone last year when getting off the quad to open a gate - and couldn't walk properly for a couple of months!)

Saying that, I really enjoy being out on them! They take you to places that cars can't go, and that would be rather hard to walk to (especially if you are carrying bags of feed/sick lambs).
Ina

ina

Sorry for pontificating in that last mail. As you see, I've done the course, got the certificate... 8)
Ina

Shirley

All very valid points Ina... yeah.. probs not powerful enough for a farmer then.... the biodiesel sounding like a better option.

I still like the idea of them - I'd love to have one... but I'd make sure I wore a helmet and sat on the seat... not cool to be crippled after an accident or worse still dead is it??

Thanks for the translation Nev!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

No worries, gotta remember to keep the slang to a minimum - the Queens English, as she is spoken!

Nev

ina

:king: We are not amused!
Ina

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Our land is quite hilly, which is why we would like one... I wonder if they would have the power to go up the hills?

Ina, we have thought about the safety of it all - hell, I won't even drive a car! Interestingly, apparently someone thought it would be a good idea to put roll cages on them, like on tractors, but it turns out they are more dangerous with the cages than without... just have to be a bit sensible on them, don't you.

Diesel may be an option, we plan on having a diesel genny as back-up for our solar system, so will be looking at bio-fuels for that anyway.

Thanks, guys!