Septic tank (sort of)

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Septic tank (sort of)

Hi everyone,

We're just built a septic tank thingy. Well, it has four concrete sides but a natural earthen bottom. It's how they do them here. The idea is that liquid seeps into the ground and solids degrade because they have a system whereby the liquid separates from the solids. I think... Point being, it isn't emptied.

Anywho... we were discussing how drop toilets we've used always ask you to put toilet paper in a bucket/bin instead of down the loo. Why is this? Doesn't the paper biodegrade?

We're just wondering how to make the best of this system. Any tips or info would be appreciated.

:dave:
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Septic tank (sort of)

Modern toilet papers are so thick that they can take weeks to break down in a septic tank. We have the same sort of tank as you by the sounds of things and have never had a problem putting paper down the toilet. We buy the cheaper, thinner stuff as it breaks down quickly, and use it sparingly.

I read somewhere that the quilted luxury stuff takes something like 30 days and the cheap stuff takes 20 hours. Don't quote me on those numbers, but it's certainly that order of magnitude.

It's funny how urbanites from Northern Europe moan about high water/sewerage bills and hose-pipe bans whilst happily using those drain-clogging thick bog rolls. Dur!

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Also Nikki, to ensure the the helpful poo and loo-roll-eating enzymes have a chance to do their thing, don't put harmful chemicals down the toilet and sinks. A half and half mix of bicarb and vinegar works just as well.

gdb
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It sounds unlikely that the solids would not fill the pit - they do degrade and will break down safely in the environment. But there would normally be a leach-pipe system attached to a pit. Or else the pit would need to be emptied. The only exception to this that I know of consists of a deeply dug sand-base - which acts as a leach pipe.

Anyway. That's nowt to do with paper. Sorry....

The paper would certainly slow down the decomposition of waste and, as a consequence, fill the pit much quicker. So it's probably best to avoid putting it in.
http://www.geoffbunn.com geoff bunn art and artist

contadina

Ours has been in place for around 40 years and has never caused any problems, nor needed to be emptied. As mentioned before, we only put thin toilet paper and no chemicals in the waste system. I know of several expats who have the same system and have had problems as they have been loading it with both chemicals and quilted paper. These tanks worked fine for the previous owners for many years.

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks everyone. This all helps.

Gdb, ours has a natural soil bottom. same thing?
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.