But WHY shouldn't I ...

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: But WHY shouldn't I ...

Thomzo wrote: Basically don't let it sit around at room temperature once it's been cooked as the bacteria can grown and won't be destroyed by cooking. Cool quickly and eat the next day.
Just to second that: if you know you've cooked extra rice to freeze or chill, after serving the rice you want to use hot, run cold water through the rest to cool it quickly, especially if you intend to use the rice cold. I usually forget to do this, having said that, so always make sure reheated rice is absolutely nuclear before I use it again.

This has been a really interesting thread. I follow the general rules but also use the eyes and nose test - if it looks and smells absolutely fine then I tend to use it up. Similarly to someone else's relative, my DH's grandmother is 102 and eats things you wouldn't feed a dog, entirely out of choice, and hasn't had a digestive problem in her life!
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've never done anything like that with rice i.e. I do all the wrong things apparently :shock: :lol: and it's never harmed anyone that I've ever lived with or fed (or the chickens!). :scratch:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just in case anyone wants to know *WHY* you shouldn't refreeze thawed food... it is not exactly unsafe if you keep it cold enough, but the quality of the food really deteriorates.

This is as I was taught: Food usually consists of lots of water. When water freezes it forms crystals. As food freezes, the crystals that form destroy the cell walls which keep the water in the food. As soon as the food is thawed, the water becomes liquid again and runs out, as it is no longer contaned by the cell walls. This is why food often releases lots of moisture when it is thawed.

Anyway, I scanned this thread and didn't see this explanation yet...

Jandra

janemiss
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Rosendula, just reading through the posts & skeltons bakery sounds familiar??? whereabouts in yorkshire are you? I'm in Upton so is that local to you, i cant place where i have heard of skeltons from though?

Rosendula

janemiss wrote:Hi Rosendula, just reading through the posts & skeltons bakery sounds familiar??? whereabouts in yorkshire are you? I'm in Upton so is that local to you, i cant place where i have heard of skeltons from though?
Hi janemiss,
I'm in Hull in East Yorks. Skeltons was a local firm and there used to be loads of them round here until just over a year ago. They didn't seem to move with the times and a lot of Cooplands and Woodheads opened in competition, sometimes right next door, and they sold much nicer stuff and catered for vegetarians a bit more. Skeltons got bought by Cooplands in the end.
Rosey xx

janemiss
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

oh right, not too far then. we've got cooplands here, infact popped in yesterday after work and they've started doing these huge slices of bread toasted with a very thick topping of cheese & fresh tomato, they are lovely, just a bit filling, wish i could get my cheese on toast to taste like that !