Advice for a poorly baby please!

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Advice for a poorly baby please!

Just want to share my sympathy - we had a nasty nasty vomiting and diarrhoea bug a month ago, it did the round and I was the first to get it! Looking after a poorly toddler and hubby is really hard when you have the same bug :(

Hope you are all on the mend soon.
x
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'm going to be the one to say the botulism thing! My friends baby niece had it when I worked for Environmental Health and one of the first things they asked was ahd she had honey. As it turns out it was from her formula milk and not honey, but I'd still say don't give honey to under ones - the effects of botulism are horrific, so anything you can do to avoid it is essential.
Ok end of rant!
I do hope that the wee ones are much better soon and hugs to you :hugish: . Have you tried any homeopathic remedies? I remember using one with liquorish in that really worked. If you can manage a trip to the health food shop they should be able to help. Good luck - and I really hope you don't catch it
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had my dose of it on Monday, it was very shortlived for me, although my tums still not quite right. I was blaming it on the Chocolate mousse I'd eaten :wink: . But when I think of it the Smallest could have easily passed it onto me as she was vomiting and had nasty nappies which I mistakenly thought was down to her chest infection, :roll: .

Well we live and learn. :lol:

Shes seen the doc now, and he was pleased I brought her as she is quite dehydrated, but its not serious as long as we can get something into her and she stops being ill, if not shes back the day after tomorrow. And to think this all started with the Smallest whos well on the mend, now its the Tallest who's in the miseries. :pale:

Shes eaten a cracker and drank about two ounces of diarolyte and its stayed down...so far! She says she wants a nap now so it must be settling okay.

They're such a worry sometimes I know that it is nothing serious but I just wanted to say how nice it has been to vent my spleen and share my woes with people at times when a phonecall would of been innappropriate...so cheers guys xxx :mrgreen: :salute: I salute you!

Lorna x

red

poor you - it is horrible when you have something sweep through the whole family.
Hope you are all better soon
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Clara

Milims wrote:I'm going to be the one to say the botulism thing! My friends baby niece had it when I worked for Environmental Health and one of the first things they asked was ahd she had honey. As it turns out it was from her formula milk and not honey, but I'd still say don't give honey to under ones - the effects of botulism are horrific, so anything you can do to avoid it is essential.
I think this rather proves the point! You don't hear people warning you off FF under 1's because of the botulism risk so why pick on honey?
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

JulieSherris

:oops: Oh, goodness!! My eldest 2 are 14 months apart, so I know what it's like when they get poorly - at the same time.... :cry:

(Although they're grown up now, yay!)

I can only agree with other suggestions here - a couple of days on watery fluids won't do them any harm, they'll soon put the lost weight back on - and yes, honey......

Now, I used to do home party planning (for Ann Summers, no less :oops: ) when my 2 were tiny & was always impressed at how good the girls were for hubby - until I went to get the honey one day & it was virtually empty.... hubby used to dip the dummies in it to keep them quiet! :mrgreen:
And no, they never got botulism that I could tell, anyway... haha!

Hope they feel better soon - and when they do, make sure you give YOURSELF a little of 'me' time - you'll deserve it by then.
:hugish:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

The Riff-Raff Element

Clara wrote: I think this rather proves the point! You don't hear people warning you off FF under 1's because of the botulism risk so why pick on honey?
Ooh ooh I know this one!

It is because honey is known to be a natural reservoir for spores of Clostridium botulinum.

And the thing is, once something like this is known it would be hardly sensible for the responsible authorities not to recommend avoiding giving honey (or sugar syrups for that matter) to infants or they would be accused of incompetence at best and a cover-up at worst.

Personally I waited until a varied solid diet was established at around 8 months before introducing honey and none of them liked it much any way. All the more for me.

Actually, most cases of infant botulism almost certainly come from consumption of soil-born spores rather than any food source, so hand washing and discouraging babies from eating the stuff is probably more important.

Growingthings - hope you have an easier night tonight. I really do swear by the bannana though, with just a little touch of ginger, perhaps.

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:Growingthings - hope you have an easier night tonight. I really do swear by the bannana though, with just a little touch of ginger, perhaps.
The mashed banana worked a treat, the Smallest is back to her usual tricks now. And I didn't have to go into them until just after 4am this morning so thats MUCH better! :cheers:

Although Tallest is still not quite right, she still has diarrhoea and woke up in a mess in her bed this morning, she had a pair of waterproof pants on but even so... :(

Its very hard to get her to understand that I'm not upset, and that its normal when you are poorly to have accidents, Shes really mad at herself, which is sweet in a way, bless her. :hugish:

The doc wants her back tomorrow if it doesn't stop. Shes still very weak and was moaning that she had wobbly legs this morning, but she had some porridge with honey and almost a whole pear for breakfast this morning so at least its going down now. She's just fallen asleep on the seatee...oh well thats got me out of hoovering for an hour or so. :cheers:

Lorna x

2+bump
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

oh yoou must have your hands full, I've got 2 15 months apart and number 3 will be 18 months younger than them. its such a worry when they don't eat but it really wont do any harm. my eldest had a bug when he was younger (that all the family got) and the hv told me to keep him of milk (and dairy) for a week as it was making him worse, it cleared up once the dairy was out his system.

hope your all on the mend now
Looking forward to being sufficientish