Came clean to boss

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Came clean to boss

After being told off for having a bad attitude I told my boss that going to work was not the most important thing in my life and that if I didnt have to pay the mortgage I wouldnt go.

mistake?

Helen

Milims

Re: Came clean to boss

Is it a mistake to tell the truth? Having had bad work experiences I always promised myself that if it came to the point where I hated my job I'd leave and find another one. So far I've always been able to pay the bills and reduce my stress levels!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Graye

Hmm! Depends on how right the boss was in telling you off I suppose?

If it was unwarranted then I don't see a problem but I would counter that by how badly you want to be looking for another job at the moment!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Helsbells

There is nothing wrong with my job, I quite enjoy it and dont want to leave. My "bad" attitude is towards work in general, basically I just dont want to go to work. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind working hard, I could spend all day digging at the allotment, I just hate working for "the man" and being made to feel like I am a better teacher if I spend hours and hours at work.
Its rediculous, I mean I want a life for cryng out loud. We only get the one and I dont want to spend every hour of it slaving away in a classroom for some snot nosed child that wont even appreciate me.
Sprry, ranting now, I just cant understans anyone who would rather be at work that somewhere else.

Rosendula

:hugish: Some people only have work in their lives. They spend far more hours at work than they are paid for, then when they finally go home, all they think about is work. Their holidays and Christmas are spent thinking and talking about work. When they socialize in an evening and on weekends, they talk to their family, friends and even strangers about work. I've met lots of people like that, and unfortunately I grew up with one. If your boss is one of those people, he won't understand you.

There is more to life than work - there's life itself! Well done for sticking up for yourself, but do be careful. If ever you leave, you want it to be your decision, not someone else's.

And someone's got to say it: all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Rosey xx

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

it depends what your job is, you have said you are a teacher, but at the level my teachers are at (ie. getting us to pass the Bac, or A-levels in England) their hours are not the urgent problem, it is getting their students a pass. (saying this, i've just finished my schooling, for life hopefully :cheers: , and will now admit i wasn't the best pupil... far from it :geek: ).
a teacher is one of those jobs that get little credit for what they are, in my opinion, very difficult. there seems to be very little scope for this in modern society :angryfire: . theres no scope for alternative teaching (ie teaching outside, getting digging to learn about ecosystems etc.), unless its diffierent to when i was last in school in England...
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I worked in a high-street fashion shop and I told my boss that too... I also told her I didn't have any ambition to become store manager, as I didn't want to end up like her.... all in an interview for floor manager. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was told that I was too honest :geek: , and too sarcastic (who? moi?) I didn't get that position and a few months later personal circumstances changed so that I could go part-time, the same week that another position opened up that I was told I should apply for (with a nudge and a wink)

They really couldn't get that I worked to live, not the other way round. I was doing the job of floor manager for over a year, without getting paid for it and without having the recognition, they knew it too but I had evidently been earmarked for a position in store and they hadn't realised I wasn't going to hang around for it.

I don't think it is the wrong thing to say, and I felt precisely the same as you Helsbells, I worked hard, I liked my job, I liked the people.. but I hated working for the man, I loved going home and looked forward to my weekends. I am quite a positive person so tried to get the best out of work but it wasn't the reason I rolled out of bed in the morning.

I think being straight-forward is an important quality and you should relish in your honesty.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Helsbells

Thanks AnnPann I appreciate what you have said, it makes me feel much better.
Hours are a real problem for teachers is my school. I am a strong believer in 8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours for what you will. I regularly get less tha 8 hours of sleep and usually work 10 hours at the least.
Its just not right.

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good thread! Totally agree with you re the 8hrs philosophy.

I'm trying to sort my head out and get off the career bandwagon at the mo too and yesty OH chucked his job - 1/2 way to the airport - he hates flying and decided enough was enough - he was working out of Denmark so flying every 3 weeks.

I've told my boss I want to go part time or else look for another job and if i go part time i just fear that i will end up doing a 35 hour week job but only getting paid for 3 or 4 days whatever i cut down to. Am working up to the applying for a less stressful job - its hard to get your head out of the 'earn a good salary' thing even though you know you should, social conditioning has a lot to answer for.

I'm in the process of filling in a job applpication at the mo and have put one of the reasons for applying as i want to spend more time in my garden! and that I want to be able to walk to work

Helsbells

i want to spend more time in my garden! and that I want to be able to walk to work
Good reasons!

I am trying to work out if there is an alternative to working other than living in a caravan. (nothing wrong with this, just not for me)

Rosendula

Helen, Have you considered supply teaching? Take the jobs when you need the money, and refuse them when you don't? I'm not a teacher, but used to work with teachers and some of them actually enjoyed their work much more like this. The less time you spend at work, the more time you have to do things for yourself, growing and making. The more you grow and make for yourself, the less you need to buy, and so the less money you need. Why not travel the spiral in the opposite direction?
Rosey xx

ina

Helsbells wrote:I am trying to work out if there is an alternative to working other than living in a caravan. (nothing wrong with this, just not for me)
And you still need money if you live in a caravan - it may be cheaper than renting a house, but not free!

I think ideally one should find a hobby that can be turned into money - and then do it as self employed. That way you are free to chose how much and when to put in work, and as it is (theoretically) enjoyable, it won't even feel like work...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Rosendula wrote:Helen, Have you considered supply teaching? Take the jobs when you need the money, and refuse them when you don't? I'm not a teacher, but used to work with teachers and some of them actually enjoyed their work much more like this. The less time you spend at work, the more time you have to do things for yourself, growing and making. The more you grow and make for yourself, the less you need to buy, and so the less money you need. Why not travel the spiral in the opposite direction?
I have a friend who did this.. his wife does all the budgeting and financial things for the family, so he said to her - "tell me exactly how many days I need to work and that's what I'll do". He doesn't work a day more than he has to!! Plus as he goes around all the different schools he speaks to the kitchen staff and arranges to get their used veg oil so he can use it to run his car.
I know supply can be not so fun behaviour wise, but at least there is no planning to do. When you go home you're done!
Smile :)

invisiblepiper

I quit corporate teaching when I was 40. It was great. The principal just didn't understand at all.
After 18 years service in the same place - I did not even get a letter - only the one which the kindly secretary made up for me.
Now I tutor part time - and run a B&B (since last week) and sell the occasional artwork.
I have less money - I work harder - and its great really.
I know where you are coming from Helsbells. These corporate guys just don't get it. :flower:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

CyberPaddy66
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Work to live not live to work, well done!
Life's a beach until you get sand in your pants!