Wind Energy

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
mattphillips78
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wind Energy

Hi,

i have an allotment which is really windy and exposed, and there is usually at least a strong breeze there. i'm looking for ways to harness this energy, just at the level of being able to charge our mobile phones, ipods etc. Has anyone any ideas how I can achieve this and the best products to go for?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Matthew Phillips
The Rat Race couldn't be further away, working the soil in tune with nature

xone
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Wind Energy

Hi, if it's wind energy you want to harness you could get a simple caravan turbine and hook that up to an inverter. I don't know much about small caravan turbines. Failing that you could get a 200 watt or more turbine attached to many deep cycle batteries which in turn is hooked up to an inverter. Thing is it'd cost quite a lot of money just for charging mobiles and ipods, espically when you can buy solar chargers for all these items on ebay for less than £20 and if you remember to charge them up before you leave the house you don't even need to worry about spending £20 on a solar charger. Another option is to get, assuming you travel to the allotment by car, a car charger for the mobile, ipod etc.

I wouldn't fancy leaving a whole load of renewable energy kit at an allotment either, I've started seeing turbines and solar panels being nicked form those road signs that light up when you approach them.

dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have to agree - if its just for small-scale battery charging don't even think about wind. It is expensive, oversold, moving parts, and difficult. Solar is also expensive, but not as much, oversold, NO moving parts and easy.

greenupma
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wind is actually cheaper than solar, though that is only a relative statement. Solar - no moving parts, yes that's certainly a plus, but if the place is a windy place (and possibly not a very sunny place), micro wind turbines will be a much better bet, don't you think?
Alternative Energy Profits
Profiting from the alternative energy revolution

dave45

Well if you have very long pole on the top of a ridge or hill, and no obstructions, and a high average wind speed, then maybe :-)

not your normal allotment position though !

http://www.scoraigwind.com/ is worth a read